The Protein Profiling Company
Research Associate, Automation$50k – $60k • 0.02% – 0.05%
We are looking for a Research Associate in Automation!
nplex biosciences is a Montreal-based biotech that is pushing the boundaries of protein measurement. In short, we are trying to do for proteomics what Illumina did for DNA sequencing. nplex was founded in 2017 by McGill bioengineers who used nanotechnology, computation, and automation to develop the nELISA: a miniaturized, and massively parallelized ELISA technology based on smart magnetic particles. In 2020, nplex has landed a partnership with GSK and is backed by top US and Canadanian venture capital firms, including Y-Combinator, Real Ventures and 2048 VC.
As a Research Associate working on Automation, you will be working with our engineers to automate various aspects of our manufacturing and high-throughput screening assays. You will support the assay and R&D team. You will implement new techniques to automate You will design large-scale proteomic campaigns with our partners, as well as for our internal R&D team. You’ll interact cross-functionally with customers and our internal R&D and Data teams, be a technical sounding board. The role will involve substantial lab management, and bench work. Together with our team of technologists and scientists, you will be expected to plan and execute assays with well-thought-out experimental plans.
Please apply if you’d like to:
● Work on a project with a strong mission – this isn’t marketing flash; we developed our technology to better measure biology and discover markers for early detection of diseases. If we’re successful, we can literally eradicate certain diseases by diagnosing them earlier;
● Develop a cutting-edge technology into a market-ready product, and play a key role in building a next-generation proteomics laboratory from the ground up;
● Work closely with leading scientists to enable the discovery of better therapeutic molecules, faster and cheaper.
What you will be doing:
● Employ our core technology, the nELISA, to develop novel, fit-for-purpose assays that scientsts want;
● Design large scale assay optimization campaigns, employing DoE and other approaches, to efficiently explore probe parameter space and optimize assays;
● Employ biochemistry and molecular methods such as: spectroscopy, protein purification, antibody conjugation, DNA modification, fluorescent labelling, fabricating and processing nanomaterials to construct assay reagents and test functional efficacy;
● Collaborate with the Data team to build data packages for our pharma partners and academic collaborators to help them understand the experimental results;
● Collaborate with Automation Engineers to convert the assays into automated, clinical-grade assays;
● Communicate analytical results to support decision-making; collaborating with the R&D and Data teams to support goals and timelines;
● Train, manage, and work with an Assay Analyst to maintain efficient laboratory workflows;
● Assist us in building a next-generation proteomics laboratory from the ground up!
What we’re looking for:
● 5+ years of wet lab experience;
● PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, bioengineering, or a related field;
● Proficiency in proteomic tools and methods, e.g. mass spectrometry, immunoassays, and/or separation-based techniques;
● Experience leading a scientific team;
● Experience in surface chemistry;
● Experience in interacting with a Laboratory Information Management Systems.
Nice to haves:
● Working in a CLIA and/or CAP certified laboratory & Quality Management System.
● You know and can connect with the quote: "God made the bulk; the surface was invented by the devil."
If you’re interested, send us a CV (and any other relevant info) with the subject line “Research Scientists, Automation” to: