This is the dream data science job (we really think so). Let us explain why.
In this position you will work to solve two fundamental problems for Plum.
Firstly, helping our customers save more. Through analysis on an evolving data set that includes our customers intentions and their transactional history. At the same time we are a consumer product so we need to understand the behaviour of our users and interactions with the product, and figure out what to change to make their experience better. So it’s a very diverse role for someone that wants to build both predictive algorithms and do data analytics for customer behaviour.
Algorithm: Plum uses the user's transactional history of the last months to determine their capacity and appetite to save. You will use this data to understand the capacity and appetite of our customers. Based on this understanding you need to decide how much to save for the user every few days, optimizing for their savings and happiness. We have an algorithm you will use as your basis, we expect you to make it better
Customer behaviour: We are operating on a new interface: Facebook Messenger. You will have to reinvent traditional web analysis and map it over to Messenger. You will be able to derive meaning from what people say and what actions they take in the bot to determine their intentions and satisfaction. You will be crucial in shaping our onboarding experience and improve retention of the user base. You just made the saving algorithm better, so will have to understand how that ties back to customer behaviour and the happiness of customers. Full circle.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and figure out what we need to change in our product
- Take models end-to-end from prototype to production.
- Build algorithms that touch the cutting edge of statistics and machine learning.
- Apply machine learning, statistics or data mining in a variety of areas, including user and product analysis.
- Develop scalable and efficient methods for data analyses and model development.
- Work across the entire company, from talking customers, to working with developers and growth teams.
- Be practical and iterate quickly; we want the best for our customers, and need to work fast to make that happen
You have a:
- Relevant degree
- 2+ years experience in in data science; preferably in consumer finance
- Proficiency in Python, Scala, R, with related statistical and machine learning packages.
- Background in data mining, machine learning, statistical analysis, and modeling, with experience deploying models in a production environment.
- Strong SQL abilities and experience with massive relational database systems.
- Superior communication skills, including the ability to take complex, ambiguous topics and create compelling narratives for different audiences.
- Excited to work in fast-moving environment,
In an ideal world you have:
- Worked in an start-up before
- An understanding of natural language processing techniques.
- Experience considering user psychology and user experience.
- Experience with A/B testing methodologies and experiments.
- Knowledge of basic micro-economic concepts.
And we treat you well! In addition to a competitive salary, you get:
- Company stock options
- 25 days of paid holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- A beautiful co-working space (Shack 15) in the heart of Shoreditch with a free coffee, a bar and ping-pong table
- All hands breakfast every week
Plum is your personal savings assistant — it monitors your daily spending and automagically sets money aside that you won't need. Because saying “#yolo” is a bit too tempting sometimes.
1. Plum will analyse your account so it can learn about your income, expenses and spending patterns. Your data is safe with us – we employ bank-grade security and work with all UK financial institutions.
2. Plum monitors your current account and every few days transfers some money from it to your Plum savings. You can access that money instantly at any time, so you don't have to worry about unexpected expenses.
3. Plum notifies you about your balance, gives you super-fast access to your savings and offers tips on how to save more. All over Messenger, so no more apps to download.