wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com) is hiring a Social Media / Marketing Manager. In this role you will own and operate wikiHow’s social media channels while also creating new marketing initiatives that reach millions of people every day. This job is full-time in Palo Alto, California.
The Marketing Manager is responsible for...
• Crafting all marketing content for social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and G+.
• Tracking the success of past campaigns to inform future strategies by collecting and analyzing data.
• Developing and executing social media campaigns designed to increase readership and brand awareness.
• Building out wikiHow email newsletter, incorporating segmentation and A/B testing to optimize its performance.
• Monitoring mentions of wikiHow in the news and on social media, interacting with other parties when appropriate.
• Researching opportunities to expand marketing efforts to new channels.
• Owning, growing, and optimizing the wikiHow YouTube channel.
• Finding and promoting stories from wikiHow users.
You are a good fit for this job if….
• You are that rare bird that is a high performer, while still humble.
• You are amazingly smart, creative, passionate, organized, analytical, detail oriented, action oriented and pragmatic, all at the same time.
• You have a deep understanding for social media and enjoy being on it.
• You are a creative thinker that has the ability to come up with new strategies and campaigns to further connect with our users.
• You are able to analyze data and do research to support innovation. You don’t mind experimenting to find the best solution.
• You believe in our mission and look forward to telling our story.
• You are committed to even the menial parts of completing a project.
• You are fun to work with, and you don’t take yourself too seriously.
• You are a great collaborator and communicator.
• Bonus points if you’ve accomplished something significant in your life. Maybe you built a business, crushed a charity fundraising goal, paid your way through college, climbed El Capitan, danced 24 hours straight, rollerbladed across Montana, etc. It could be anything, but accomplishing it will show us your ability to achieve a goal.
• We take wikiHow's educational mission seriously. We put our mission above short-term business goals.
• Each of us is insanely productive. Our small team of 22 people is competing with mega corporations with hundreds of employees. And beating them.
• We have a huge number of users and followers, but a very small team. Your work will make an immediate, noticeable impact on millions of people.
• We all work from home one day a week.
• We don't think working long startup hours is productive or healthy. We work hard and productively, then go enjoy rich lives outside of work.
• Our small, cohesive team is gender balanced: 50% female, 50% male. And we have a female CEO!
• We’re often wrong (and that’s OK). Making mistakes shows that we are innovating. We love to innovate.
• We like walking. We even have a few treadmill desks.
• We love coming to work every day. Working with intelligent people to accomplish something globally ambitious is intrinsically satisfying.
• We like to share. We develop open source software and Creative Commons licensed content.
• Alexa ranks us in the top 150 sites in the US. Over 150 million people visit wikiHow every month. Even your mom will use and love our product.
• We are profitable and growing.
• We are self-funded. We refuse VC money on a regular basis. Investors don’t make our decisions, we do.
• We pay top performers well.
• We are better in person than on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdfGsYyALI
• We're delightfully quirky (but you probably figured that out already).
You can read more about wikiHow here: http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHow:Jobs
To apply share your cover letter and resume with email@example.com over Google Drive. In your cover letter, please tell us why you think you are the best person for this position. Also, please list one brand that you think uses social media effectively, and briefly explain why you think so.
wikiHow is building the world's how-to manual. wikiHow is a worldwide collaboration of thousands of people focused on one goal: teaching anyone in the world how to do anything. We are the only company in the Comscore top 150 with under 30 employees.
Imagine a world where anyone can easily learn how to do anything. A world where access to comprehensive step-by-step instructions in multiple languages enables billions of people to improve their lives, in ordinary and extraordinary ways. That’s the world we want to create.
* We’re open source. The software you write for wikiHow is shared freely.
* We’re international. wikiHow is in 17 languages and growing.
* We’re an evergreen company. We’ve built wikiHow to last forever. We refuse to raise VC or angel money.
* We’re mission focused. We’re focusing on achieving our educational mission, not some investor’s exit plan.