The potential for biological engineering to create new medicines and sustainable technologies is revolutionary, but today, working with biology takes too long, costs too much, and fails too often. Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world’s 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, Synthace is re-imagining how we work with biology by developing a high level language and operating system for the physical world called Antha, which is already shifting how scientists work in major pharmaceutical, agricultural, and chemical production companies. Join an interdisciplinary team of biologists, computer scientists, biochemical engineers, and statisticians as we work together to expand the boundaries of science and technology.
We are looking for a talented, senior front-end engineer to work on the UI to the Antha platform for life science R&D.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world’s 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, Synthace is re-imagining how we work with biology, exponentially improving the speed and quality of the final results. This is made possible through our high level language and operating system for labs, Antha, which is already impacting how scientists work with biology in major companies like Dow, Merck and GSK.
- Contribute to the development of new AnthaOS apps aimed at users from a variety of job roles including biological scientists, data scientists and management.
- Contribute to the refinement and extension of our existing apps for devising and executing experimental workflows.
- Optimize speed and responsiveness of the apps and framework
Antha uses a web-based front-end in Google Polymer across both mobile and desktop platforms, handling back-end communications via SocketIO and RESTful services. Day-to-day, you’ll be working with a tight-knit, multidisciplinary development team on an exciting project with plenty of technical challenge to get your teeth into.
- Experience delivering complex single-page apps.
- Knowledge of all aspects of UI development.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience of front-end development in a team environment.
- Experience of agile development and a devotion to testing (TDD/BDD) as a means to ensure high quality code.
- Experience leading UI development
- Knowledge of data visualisation methods e.g. D3
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Experience developing server-side JS e.g. Node.
- Experience using Google Polymer
We offer a package including 25 days’ annual leave + public holidays, company share options, 10% of salary pension contribution, and income protection, life, and private medical insurances.
At Synthace, we have re-envisioned how to work with biology. It starts from a digital language for working practices (Antha), which enables software to assist in the design, simulation, execution, and interpretation of biological experiments. This digitisation of the ‘How’ empowers scientists to focus on ‘What’ they want to do, removing major barriers in the time, cost, and complexity associated with working with biological systems. This digital representation enables the unambiguous translation of work between different lab environments, something that has never existed in the field before, and is key to enable building atop prior knowledge and practice in biology.
Antha also ensures that structured data is produced from all experiments: the fundamental key to properly applying machine learning to biological data. The total impact is profound, and measured in orders of magnitude how more productive a scientist powered by Antha is vs a scientist without.