The friction in real estate transactions is a surcharge on the american dream. Every cost barrier, bad experience, and risk standing between you and home ownership or access to financing, holds our communities back from economic security and prosperity, disproportionately hurting less affluent communities and those less able to navigate an overly complicated system.
The title insurance industry is at the core of the problem - as the back end plumbing of real estate transactions, and a $15Bn industry, it adds the highest unnecessary costs and presents a huge opportunity for a transformational improvement. By lowering costs and engineering a transparent, fast process, we can improve access to the largest source of capital most of us ever have.
This presents a huge challenge - the industry hasn’t changed for 100 years, and in that time it has built its defences high. We’re at day one of our journey and need a strong team to get to the end.
Your Role at Spruce:
- Bring Spruce’s user-facing (borrowers, lenders, internal operations) properties from their infancy to mature, industry-leading products
- Collaborate with design and product to craft technical solutions to business problems
- Ship high quality, well-tested code
- Design, participate in, and advocate for agile methodologies
- Help develop Spruce's company and engineering cultures
- You love crafting great interfaces and interactions
- You make a habit of learning and experimenting with new technologies
- You’re thoughtful about framework design decisions, and understand the consequences
- You are eager to share knowledge and teach others
- You thrive in a fast-paced early stage startup environment
- You appreciate the value of investing in automated tests
- You can express yourself concisely in writing
- You have 4+ years of experience, or equivalent skills
Tools on your belt:
Aside from the standard HTML/CSS/JS trifecta, nothing is required, but strong pluses are: React, Elm, Ruby on Rails
Working at Spruce:
We strive to create a happy and healthy working environment, as we believe that allows us to do our best work. As a team, we value intellectual honesty, confidence, and curiosity, and value the scale of the problem we are working on. If you’re struggling to choose between working with us or at the next photo sharing startup: you should choose photo sharing.
Our current benefits include:
Extremely competitive salary and equity (the best people deserve the best compensation)
Health, dental, vision and commuter benefits
Unlimited vacation, flexible hours, and an open and casual office environment.
Best available laptop and accessories