NOTE: I now syndicate all deals through the S2 Capital syndicate. Please back that syndicate if you wish to follow my investments.
I'm currently working on Equidate, and I was previously co-founder of Streem (YC S12, Acq. by Box).
I'm exposed to a large number of startups (YC, pre-YC, non-YC) through my networks and I like to employ the following as signals when choosing whether to invest:
1. Address a true burning need (obviously, but cannot be understated)
2. Have technical, formidable founders
3. Have technical and/or market differentiation
4. Have the right timing/leverage emerging trends
5. Have a clear path to revenue