Are you ready to join the fight against cancer and improve the lives of millions of patients?
Do you want to work with machine learning technologies that will redefine medicine?
Join the Optellum team and help us shape the cancer care of tomorrow!
Internship (Assistant Data Scientist - we have projects that suit a range of backgrounds, from data mark-up through to algorithms and analysis at PhD level, including Master thesis and end of studies internships).
Your Mission: Would you like to
• Help bring to market healthcare AI products that will be deployed to thousands of hospitals?
• Help create datasets to teach AI algorithms in close collaboration with world-leading clinical and AI experts?
Required Skills: You must have
• Passion for biomedical topics.
• For analysis and algorithms projects: Strong programming and/or analytical skills
• For data markup projects: Obsessive attention to detail, strong work ethics
• Solid communication skills and ability to write clear documents. Ability to communicate with technical and clinical teams.
• Flexibility to feel at home in a technology start-up with a team of developers and scientists.
• Initial full-time availability for a minimum of 6 weeks and/or part-time (20h/week+) for a minimum of 12 weeks.
• ELIGIBILITY TO WORK IN THE UK. WE CANNOT SPONSOR VISA FOR INTERNS. Please do not apply if you need visa.
Desirable Skills: One or more of these would be a definite plus
• Studying towards a strong degree in a scientific, medical, or a technical discipline
• Basic programming & data analysis skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, R), to effectively import, verify, rearrange & edit data
• Hands-on software development and/or machine learning experience. Basic database knowledge (SQL or similar) a plus.
• Prior experience in a clinical or a research environment. Experience working in a startup or a small SME a plus.
• Starting date as soon as possible. Long-term availability (3 months+) is a plus, due to the significant learning curve
What We Offer
• Opportunity to gain hands-on experience of cutting edge healthcare technologies, particularly relating to machine learning
• Work alongside leading clinical, machine learning and medical product development experts.
• Competitive salary and additional benefits which will grow with the company.
• Flexible working hours designed around a core period. Additional flexibility may be negotiable.
• The possibility of a full-time role in our fast-growing company if you demonstrate you have what it takes
• Beautiful office in Oxford’s historical center, with great connectivity (5-min walk to the train station, 1hr to central London).
Optellum was founded so that every lung cancer patient, in every hospital, is treated at an early stage and cured. Our vision is to redefine early interception of lung disease, by enabling clinicians to manage their patients in the optimal way.
Our first product is the world's first precision medicine software for early diagnosis & treatment of lung cancer, based on Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning applied to the world’s largest clinical dataset.
We are a team of world-leading medical imaging software, AI, and clinical experts who met at Oxford’s world-renowned computer vision laboratory. Between us, we have track records of bringing innovation to market through over 10 start-up companies, resulting already in 5 trade-sales and one IPO. Learn more at http://www.optellum.com/.