In the first two months of 2018, First Round Capital had 3 billion-dollar+ exits. It's only March. As early investors in Uber, the venture capital firm was able to sell 40% of their shares to SoftBank back in January (netting approximately $800M). Last month, it was announced that pharmaceutical giant Roche is acquiring Flatiron Health for $1.9B, and less than two weeks after, Amazon acquired the smart doorbell maker Ring for $1.2B. First Round was an early investor in both.
First Search, First Round's search engine for the best tactical startup advice, was also nominated for the Product of the Year Golden Kitty Award a few weeks back. It's been a good start of the year for First Round.
The first thing you see when walking into First Round's San Francisco office is a poster on the wall: The future is female founders.
Yet still less than 2.19% of all venture capital funding goes to female-led startups. In honor of International Women's Day, here are 20 Female Founded Startups to Join in 2018 that are growing quickly and hiring.
1. Accompany uses AI to be your virtual chief of staff, providing you with all of the information you need before meeting just about anyone.
2. Glossier is a direct-to-consumer beauty brand with a cult-like following. The company just raised $52M in Series C funding. 📈
3. Brandless was just named by Fast Company as one of the world’s 50 Most Innovative Companies. Brandless co-founder Tina Sharkey has created one of the strongest direct to consumer brands around.
4. Verge Genomicsuses machine learning and human genomic data to defeat neurodegeneration. This is one exciting genomics startups.
5. Mighty Networks co-founder Gina Bianchini is taking on Facebook once again, having previously co-founded social platform Ning together with Marc Andreessen (which grew to 90 million users).
6. Hipcampis a marketplace that connects campers and land. If you're an outdoors person you'll love it. Dave Morin says: "This is an amazing idea and so well designed. In love."
7. Lumico-founder Jesse Genet turned down a Shark Tank deal two years back. Today, the packaging company serves customers from all 50 states and 20 countries worldwide. Lumi recently announced a $9M Series A round of funding, and the company is profitable. 👏
8. Shippo helps businesses succeed through shipping, and powers eBay's Guaranteed Delivery Program (among other marketplaces and platforms). Shippo recently raised a $20M Series B funding round.
9. FLEX is a body-safe tampon alternative that lasts up to12 hours (that women can wear during sex). This is the kind of company that could only be started by female founders.
10. Guild Education is an education benefits platform that allows employers to offer tuition reimbursement and college degree programs to their employees. Lifelong leaning is one of the most important skills to in internalize.
12. Werk is the premier destination for flexibility as the future of work. The company sources highly flexible jobs from top companies.
13. Maven connects working women with doctors, nurse practitioners, nutritionists, and mental health providers on-demand.
14. Ritual is a women’s vitamin startup that offers a 30-day supply of subscription vitamins for $30 per month. The product, Essential for Women, includes the 9 essential nutrients women lack the most.
15. Front is on fire! The company recently raised a massive $66M Series B round that was led by Sequoia. It took co-founder and CEO Mathilde Collin just five days of fundraising. Front is hiring on AngelList. 🔥
16. Darby Smart is the place to learn from thousands of How-To videos. join the video community for millennials, as millions of others have done.
17. FutureFuel offers student loan payment management services as an employee benefit. "Crush Your Debt. Fuel Your Future" is inspiring.
18. Branch is the linking infrastructure for today's top brands, like Instacart, Airbnb, Pinterest, and Target. In total, the company has raised an impressive $113M in funding.
19. Collective Retreats offers luxury retreats to the kind of destinations that will blow your mind. It's a new, more meaningful way to travel.
20. Modern Fertility introduced easy test that gives you powerful information about your fertility. The same fertility test offered in top fertility clinics, online, and for a fraction of the cost.
For more, we created an ever-growing list of over 1,300 startups founded by female founders. Check it out.