French startup StarOfService just raised another $10 million for its European Thumbtack alternative. Andrea Piccioni and Silvio Pagliani, ENERN Investments and Point Nine Capital participated in today's round, as well as various business angels. When I first covered StarOfService, the company didn't even try to hide from me that it was a Thumbtack copycat.
San Francisco · Full Time · $150K – $200K · 0.02% – 0.06%
Thumbtack was created with the belief that hiring a plumber should be as easy as buying a book online. By making it easier and more reliable to hire a local professional than ever before, we’re inspiring our customers to do more every day while empowering pros to do the work they do best.
Our product touches millions of lives across the country, and we are seeking a Product Design Manager to help us take the Thumbtack experience and product design team to the next level.
About the Thumbtack Design Group
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers working closely with engineers, product managers, and writers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging and delightful. We build consensus around our work in our everyday interactions through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You have successfully managed the growth and work of a small group of designers. You are a great cross-functional collaborator and are able to lead the creative strategy for a core product team. You are invested in building a great team and setting that team up for success. You can provide feedback at every level—from strategy to UI—and can also roll-up your sleeves and dive into the work. You advocate for the user through human-centered design principles resulting in incredibly intuitive and beautiful experiences. You believe in the power of quantitative and qualitative research to help validate our hypotheses and know your way around analytics.
* Team building and management
- Mentor and manage a small team of designers—caring for their professional and personal development—including, defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and creating an environment that fosters collaboration, trust, and respect.
- Push the design team forward by surfacing processes and examples that inspire us to improve the quality of our work and the ways we collaborate.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and researchers to define goals, process, and prioritize the work.
Communicate our product vision and plan to a cross-functional product team.
- Use a human-centered design approach to direct the design of product solutions that solve for the true needs of our users.
- Owning and impacting the design of a core part of our product experience through team and individual contribution.
- To uphold a high standard for our brand expressions and our product experiences.
- Serve as an ambassador for Thumbtack Design within the org and in the broader design community.
* 5-7+ years of experience working as part of a design team (at least 3 years of in-house experience)
2-3+ years of experience managing a small team
* Experience in and a desire to mentor and develop designers
* Emotional intelligence—the ability to truly understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled.
* An inspiring portfolio of mobile and web-based projects that highlights your approach to problem solving as well as the solutions themselves
* A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team.
* Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
* Strong interaction design, visual design, prototyping skills, and the ability to help shape product strategy
* Human-centric approach to designing products
* Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
* Fluency in Sketch, Adobe CS, Invision (or other prototyping products)
* Skills in HTML & CSS a plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
San Francisco · Full Time · $120K – $140K · 0.005% – 0.01%
About the pro marketing team
Our pro marketing team is devoted to helping pros get hired and successfully grow their businesses with Thumbtack. We create a range of marketing programs to coach, motivate, and engage our pros.
About the Role
As Pro Marketing Manager, you will develop and manage communications with our pros throughout their time using Thumbtack so they keep quoting, getting hired, and loving Thumbtack. You'll help onboard new pros, keep active pros engaged and quoting, and win back pros who have stopped using. You'll create content and lead all email and marketing (social, web, etc) to pros to share useful tips, product updates, and inspiring stories so that pros keep using and get hired more often.
You are a proven marketer with experience launching and managing campaigns in digital and offline channels, with particular expertise in email, to drive active use of your product. You love getting to know your customers, developing deep empathy for their experience using the product, and understanding their needs at different phases of their lifecycle. You create compelling content to educate, inform, celebrate and inspire your customers. You have a test and learn mentality and like driving work (vs. hiring agencies to execute). You effectively work with a team of cross-functional stakeholders (product, design, analytics, email ops) to develop, launch, and analyze your marketing programs. You are resourceful and do what it takes to get alignment and resources
Develop email programs and campaigns across marketing channels targeting new, active, and at-risk pros to increase bidding, hire rate and retention. Own content calendar and key messages for pros at various stages of their lifecycle
Rapidly test and learn what marketing tactics improve behavior, and quickly scale up or pivot to the next test. Manage and track impact of campaigns. Lead pro research.
San Francisco · Full Time · $100K – $110K · 0.005% – 0.01%
About the role
The Associate Category Manager will be responsible for a core set of Thumbtack’s categories. The ACM will track key category metrics and deeply understand customer and pro behavior within the categories. The ACM will translate that understanding into tangible product improvements to drive growth and improve the customer experience.
You’re passionate about creating a product that is tailored to the individual needs of customers and professionals within a specific category
You are data-driven and take an analytical approach to problem solving, distilling both quantitative and qualitative data into actionable insights
You can empathize with Thumbtack’s customers and are excited to get to know them better through surveys, focus groups, and 1:1 interviews
You get things done - you have a bias for action and work well with cross-functional partners to get stuff done
Gather and synthesize insights on categories, including customer and pro needs, market dynamics, and trends
Identify biggest opportunities to drive growth and experience within assigned categories (including opportunities for product improvements and customer/pro engagement)
Implement product changes for your categories, including creating new categories, changing request form questions, and rolling out new request form features
Work with broader category management team and product team to develop and test category-adjustable features
2+ years of experience - preferably in consumer technology / e-commerce, consulting, or finance
Experience generating and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative insights (bonus points for consumer/user insights)
Excellent analytical skills (including advanced excel skills and willingness to learn SQL)
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to work cross-functionally (with Product, Marketing)
Strong attention to detail