French startup StarOfService just raised another $10 million for its European Thumbtack alternative. Andrea Piccioni and Silvio Pagliani, ENERN Investments and Point Nine Capital participated in today's round, as well as various business angels. When I first covered StarOfService, the company didn't even try to hide from me that it was a Thumbtack copycat.
San Francisco · Full Time · $150K – $200K · 0.02% – 0.06%
Thumbtack was created with the belief that hiring a plumber should be as easy as buying a book online. By making it easier and more reliable to hire a local professional than ever before, we’re inspiring our customers to do more every day while empowering pros to do the work they do best.
Our product touches millions of lives across the country, and we are seeking a Product Design Manager to help us take the Thumbtack experience and product design team to the next level.
About the Thumbtack Design Group
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers working closely with engineers, product managers, and writers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging and delightful. We build consensus around our work in our everyday interactions through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You have successfully managed the growth and work of a small group of designers. You are a great cross-functional collaborator and are able to lead the creative strategy for a core product team. You are invested in building a great team and setting that team up for success. You can provide feedback at every level—from strategy to UI—and can also roll-up your sleeves and dive into the work. You advocate for the user through human-centered design principles resulting in incredibly intuitive and beautiful experiences. You believe in the power of quantitative and qualitative research to help validate our hypotheses and know your way around analytics.
* Team building and management
- Mentor and manage a small team of designers—caring for their professional and personal development—including, defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and creating an environment that fosters collaboration, trust, and respect.
- Push the design team forward by surfacing processes and examples that inspire us to improve the quality of our work and the ways we collaborate.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and researchers to define goals, process, and prioritize the work.
Communicate our product vision and plan to a cross-functional product team.
- Use a human-centered design approach to direct the design of product solutions that solve for the true needs of our users.
- Owning and impacting the design of a core part of our product experience through team and individual contribution.
- To uphold a high standard for our brand expressions and our product experiences.
- Serve as an ambassador for Thumbtack Design within the org and in the broader design community.
* 5-7+ years of experience working as part of a design team (at least 3 years of in-house experience)
2-3+ years of experience managing a small team
* Experience in and a desire to mentor and develop designers
* Emotional intelligence—the ability to truly understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled.
* An inspiring portfolio of mobile and web-based projects that highlights your approach to problem solving as well as the solutions themselves
* A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team.
* Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
* Strong interaction design, visual design, prototyping skills, and the ability to help shape product strategy
* Human-centric approach to designing products
* Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
* Fluency in Sketch, Adobe CS, Invision (or other prototyping products)
* Skills in HTML & CSS a plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
San Francisco · Full Time · $120K – $140K · 0.005% – 0.01%
About the pro marketing team
Our pro marketing team is devoted to helping pros get hired and successfully grow their businesses with Thumbtack. We create a range of marketing programs to coach, motivate, and engage our pros.
About the Role
As Pro Marketing Manager, you will develop and manage communications with our pros throughout their time using Thumbtack so they keep quoting, getting hired, and loving Thumbtack. You'll help onboard new pros, keep active pros engaged and quoting, and win back pros who have stopped using. You'll create content and lead all email and marketing (social, web, etc) to pros to share useful tips, product updates, and inspiring stories so that pros keep using and get hired more often.
You are a proven marketer with experience launching and managing campaigns in digital and offline channels, with particular expertise in email, to drive active use of your product. You love getting to know your customers, developing deep empathy for their experience using the product, and understanding their needs at different phases of their lifecycle. You create compelling content to educate, inform, celebrate and inspire your customers. You have a test and learn mentality and like driving work (vs. hiring agencies to execute). You effectively work with a team of cross-functional stakeholders (product, design, analytics, email ops) to develop, launch, and analyze your marketing programs. You are resourceful and do what it takes to get alignment and resources
Develop email programs and campaigns across marketing channels targeting new, active, and at-risk pros to increase bidding, hire rate and retention. Own content calendar and key messages for pros at various stages of their lifecycle
Rapidly test and learn what marketing tactics improve behavior, and quickly scale up or pivot to the next test. Manage and track impact of campaigns. Lead pro research.
San Francisco · Full Time · $100K – $110K · 0.005% – 0.01%
About the role
The Associate Category Manager will be responsible for a core set of Thumbtack’s categories. The ACM will track key category metrics and deeply understand customer and pro behavior within the categories. The ACM will translate that understanding into tangible product improvements to drive growth and improve the customer experience.
You’re passionate about creating a product that is tailored to the individual needs of customers and professionals within a specific category
You are data-driven and take an analytical approach to problem solving, distilling both quantitative and qualitative data into actionable insights
You can empathize with Thumbtack’s customers and are excited to get to know them better through surveys, focus groups, and 1:1 interviews
You get things done - you have a bias for action and work well with cross-functional partners to get stuff done
Gather and synthesize insights on categories, including customer and pro needs, market dynamics, and trends
Identify biggest opportunities to drive growth and experience within assigned categories (including opportunities for product improvements and customer/pro engagement)
Implement product changes for your categories, including creating new categories, changing request form questions, and rolling out new request form features
Work with broader category management team and product team to develop and test category-adjustable features
2+ years of experience - preferably in consumer technology / e-commerce, consulting, or finance
Experience generating and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative insights (bonus points for consumer/user insights)
Excellent analytical skills (including advanced excel skills and willingness to learn SQL)
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to work cross-functionally (with Product, Marketing)
Strong attention to detail
San Francisco · Full Time · $110K – $140K · 0.01% – 0.03%
About the Role:
The Customer Retention Manager will lead all marketing efforts focused on better retaining and engaging Thumbtack’s millions of customers, and will build and lead the Customer Retention team.
You’re passionate about marketing that delivers large and measurable results for the business
You know how to get big things done - you can lead a team of direct reports, cross-functional partners, and external contractors to build large and complex programs
You are highly analytical and focused on optimization
You empathize with Thumbtack’s customers and can build retention programs focused on adding value to their lives
Develop a deep understanding of Thumbtack’s customers, including developing a customer segmentation strategy and mapping out Thumbtack’s long term CRM approach
Build and scale our customer email program, working closely with marketing and product teams
Identify, prioritize, and test other customer retention channels such as incentives, loyalty programs, and retargeting
Hire and enable the Customer Retention team
4+ years experience in B2C marketing, growth, analytics, consulting, or finance
Ability to work cross functionally with Marketing, Product and Ops teams
Strong analytical skillset, including extensive hands on experience in excel
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Experience building or managing a B2C email program at scale
Experience in lifecycle marketing, engagement marketing, or CRM
Experience at a high growth tech company
Experience with SQL
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
* Salary will vary based on experience level
San Francisco · Full Time · $120K – $180K · 0.02% – 0.05%
Do you want to work in a highly collaborative environment to reinvent how a large piece of the local economy works? We’re looking for a product manager to partner with engineers and designers to develop great solutions for Thumbtack’s customers and professionals. You’ll work on a variety of projects across the product with a diverse set of team members.
You use data to guide you, but have deep empathy for the user and have great product instincts. You can synthesize large amounts of information to make complex ideas understandable. You’re someone who relishes solving complex problems.
- Partner with engineers and designers to ideate, prioritize and deliver great solutions for our customers and professionals
- Define and analyze key metrics to inform decision-making and measure success
- Conduct user research and lightweight tests to scope and prioritize product initiatives
- Coordinate within your team and among teams at Thumbtack to ensure understanding of and alignment around projects
- Wear many hats and be key organizational glue
- 3+ years of product management experience building consumer web/mobile products
- MBA, Product Design or Engineering degree preferred
- Excellent user-centric design and product sense
- Excellent analytical skills to break down and solve complex problems
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent business judgement
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Passion for the complex challenges of marketplace businesses
* Salary will vary based on experience level
San Francisco · Full Time · $110K – $150K · 0.01% – 0.04%
We have a data-driven culture, but we still feel like we’re only taking advantage of a fraction of the information we have to drive the right decisions for our customers, professionals and business. We’re looking for an Analytics Manager to work with teams across Thumbtack to answer important strategic questions. You’ll report to the Director of Analytics but get to spend time working with teams across the organization, including product, growth, marketing and operations. You’ll be looked to not only to explain what’s happening but also to suggest how we react to the data.
You have a strong combination of analytical prowess, technical aptitude and business judgement. You’re focused on results, a self-starter and have a demonstrated success in using analytics to drive the understanding, progression and user engagement of a product.
Partner with product, growth, marketing and ops teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses to drive strategic decisions
Conduct creative analyses to develop insights into complex questions
Track and regularly report on key performance metrics
Develop dashboards to empower other team members with data
5+ years experience in a quantitative or analytical role, preferably in tech, consulting, or finance
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and exposure to Economics, Math, Statistics, Computer Science and/or Business.
Extensive hands-on experience with Excel and SQL
Proven experience in quantitative analysis
A creative approach in developing actionable analysis and recommendations
Sharp business judgement and ability to see past the noise in large datasets to summarize and present actionable insights
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to multitask and take on diverse projects and a strong track record of delivering against aggressive timelines
* Salary will vary based on experience level