We are looking for a sharp junior backend engineer who is hungry to grow and learn. We want you to help us design and build the next generation of high performance APIs and backend services in Go (the fastest growing language on Github). As a Junior Backend Engineer you’ll be an integral member of our engineering team and report to the Director of Backend Engineering.
What you can expect from us
* Mentorship and coaching from your manager
* The opportunity to learn industry best practices on an app that serves millions (microservices, continuous development, caching, asynchronous processing, monitoring, and scaling)
* Exposure to other teams (product, design, frontend, devops, data)
* A collaborative environment that moves fast
What we expect from you
* Up to two years experience in backend or full stack development building APIs
* Prior knowledge of Go not a requirement -- we’re ready to get you up to speed
* Positive, kind, and open to feedback
* Hungry to learn and ready to prove it to us
* Always on the lookout for new technologies and new ways to get things done better
* Thrive in a collaborative work environment
* Have a bias to action
* Proactive communication when you encounter roadblocks
In 6 to 12 months become a mid-level backend engineer capable of executing projects on-time and with minimal guidance.
Roles / Responsibilities
* Write high quality code that is self explanatory, tested, and meets objectives as described in functional specifications.
* Collaborate with other backend and client (iOS and Android) engineers and participate in code reviews.
* Participate in on-call rotation for after hours support.
* Follow established best practices for the backend codebase.
* Help analyze performance throughout the stack to optimize the user experience.
* Drive projects to completion with minimal guidance.
Objectives in the first six months
* Create and complete a backend study plan in which you’ll identify and study overarching backend concepts, systems, and frameworks we use and then condense the learning into writing and practice
* Own and deliver a large project start-to-finish.
* Review and leave a comment for each backend Pull Request
* Participate in the weekly on-call rotation
* Participate in the weekly Sprint Planning meetings.
* Go to a Golang meetup
This is an entry-level position with competitive pay and benefits, plus an awesome working environment. Any company can give you free lunch and happy hours (and we do), but at Hinge we pride ourselves on caring for each other.
We believe the quality of your relationships determines the quality of your life. So when it comes to your most important relationship, it makes sense to take a more thoughtful approach. Hinge provides an alternative to swipe culture by creating smart matches and natural conversations among people who are on the same page. That’s why 75% of our first dates turn into second dates, and why we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the NYTimes Wedding section. Hinge is where the next generation is going when they’re over dating games and ready to find meaningful connections.
What you can expect from us
As individuals, and as a company, we strive to embody these 5 cultural attributes in everything we do:
* Open: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
* Candid: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly, in real time.
* Kind: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
* Empowered: Proactively identify and pursue opportunity. Think big and don’t be afraid to take calculated risks.
* Resourceful: Think and act using the appropriate combination of principles, common sense, data and insight.
***Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment at Hinge.***
Hinge is the dating app that’s great at one thing: setting you up on great dates. That’s why we learn your type based on the people you like, show off your personality with icebreaker prompts, and let you know who likes you so you can easily start a conversation. So if you’re looking for a BFF, a job, a pen pal, or a hookup Hinge isn’t the place for you. Hinge is the dating app made for dating, and we’re good at what we do. On Hinge, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, and we’re the #1 dating app mentioned in The New York Times wedding section.