I've had many investors ask me how to get into my deals. With syndicates, you can now gain access to my proprietary dealflow automatically. You can sever your relationship with me and stop backing at any time, and not invest in any deal for any reason. Backing me gives you a guaranteed allocation so you don't miss out on deals. I'm doing this to help give me negotiation leverage on deal terms for startups, and to bring value-added co-investors into my deals.
My approach to syndicates are: I would rather risk my own money than others' money. So any deal I bring to AngelList is going to be one that I truly believe in. I will often take advisory shares and write a small check months before doing a syndicate since I want to watch the team's performance before doing a syndicate. I'm super picky and turn-down 98% of the dealflow that I see. My sector focus is generally enterprise software, B2B SaaS, and marketplaces.
I will typically pull the trigger on a syndicate soon after the team has fully de-risked their hypothesis and achieved product/market fit and revenue, so that we get in at the lowest price. I typically will have VCs meet my syndicate deals, and have them either co-invest or gauge their temperature to lead a Series A so that they can protect the deal.
Please note: Angel investing is risky. Whenever you make an angel investment, you should always do so with money that you don't need, since most investments fail. You should also assume that exits can take 7-10 years. Please read the Angel Investing FAQ I wrote (see my profile page) to learn more from my experiences as an angel investor.
I've been an angel investor for over 5 years, and have been fortunate enough to invest or advise some great startups. The deals I invest in come from a referral network of other entrepreneurs I've helped, through paying-it-forward with them by mentoring at incubators, helping startups fundraise, as well as advising CEOs. I also collaborate with VCs, who both use me for advice on their deals, as well as send me dealflow, and protect my angel deals by co-investing with me. I've helped raise millions for startups over the past few years and have a strong relationships with other co-investors. I look for startups with traction, a strong team, in a big market. My sector focus is B2B SaaS, open-source, marketplaces, and game infrastructure.
Here are some of the startups I've invested in or advised:
• AngelList [platform for startups]: http://angel.co Raised Seed, Series A, operational and growing
• Boxc [International shipment logistics]: http://www.boxc.co Raised Seed, operational and growing
• Weave [SMB communications platform]: http://www.getweave.co, Series B
• Nav.com [Credit Karma for SMBs]: http://www.nav.com, Series B
• MagicBus [Transportation network], http://www.magicbus.io, raised Seed prior to them joining YCombinator, growing and operational
• KindlyCare [Marketplace for In-Home Care for Aging Relatives] http://www.kindlycare.com Raised Seed, growing and operational
• UMake [Disrupting 3d Modeling] http://www.umake.xyz Raised Seed, Series A, growing and operational
• Sqwiggle [video conferencing for distributed teams]: http://www.sqwiggle.com Raised Seed, operational and growing
• PickCrew [marketplace for quality tech talent projects]: http://www.pickcrew.com Raised Seed, operational and growing
• OwnLocal [Transforming newspaper industry through mobile/web technology]: http://www.ownLocal.com Raised Seed, Super Seed, operational and growing
• KeepStream [curated tweets] -- http://keepstream.com/ Acquired by InfoChimps.
• Simple Honey [Travel Bookings]: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/simplehoney-acquired... Acquired by Ripple Labs
• Precog [Big data]: http://www.precog.com Acquired by SlamData
• Webify Solutions: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/wbsf/ Acquired by IBM
• Sauce Labs [testing for websites]: http://www.saucelabs.com Raised Seed, Series A, Series B, Series C, growing and operational
• Canva [web-based collaborative design]: http://www.canva.com Raised Seed, Series A, growing and operational
• Contactually [Helps you stay in touch with your network]: http://www.contactually.com Raised Seed, Series A, growing and operational
• Luxe Valet [marketplace for parking attendants]: http://www.luxevalet.com Raised Seed, growing and operational
• Seamless Planet [API for travel experiences]: http://www.seamlessplanet.com Advisory round, growing and operational
• NodeSource [Node.js Enterprise Software] http://www.nodesource.com Raised Seed, growing and operational
• Holidog [European Pet Marketplace] http://www.holidog.com Raised Seed, Bridge, growing and operational
• HackHands [Uber for Programmers] http://www.hackhands.com Raised Seed, Acquired by Pluralsight