Designlab is looking for a curriculum lead to join our team. This person will manage our curriculum roadmap, working to both devise high-level strategy and execute updates to continually improve our set of online course offerings in User Experience Design, User Interface Design, and Product Design.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced designer and teacher that’s looking to combine their product design savvy, academic and pedagogical insight, and industry experience into a high-impact role that can drive the state of online creative education forward.
// ABOUT DESIGNLAB //
We’re a platform for mentor-led, online design education with a focus on quality and outcomes. Since our launch in 2014:
- Thousands of students around the world have taken our highly-rated online courses, rated #1 Best Design Course by Switchup.org in 2017
- Hundreds of mentors have joined the platform, from companies like Airbnb, Google, Pinterest, and more
- Hundreds of our alumni have had successful hiring outcomes, landing roles at places like Facebook, IBM, Sony, Adidas, and many more
Our mission is to empower creators to do the work they love. Read more on our About page: https://trydesignlab.com/about/.
We’re accelerating quickly and are looking for the right individual to help drive our curricular offerings. You’ll help us shape and work towards our vision for what the future of a global, rigorous creative school looks like.
// RESPONSIBILITIES //
As Designlab’s curriculum lead, you’ll be responsible for setting a high-level vision for our curricula, owning the direction of our near and mid-term curriculum roadmap, and managing day-to-day execution against this roadmap. You will be expected to:
Lead curricular strategy across our course offerings
- Maintain a close pulse on tech and design industry needs, as well as advances in the design education space
- Continually revise our 3, 6, and 12 month curriculum roadmap based on evolving student demand, mentor insight, and market needs — including edits to our existing curriculum and proposals for new courses
- Collaborate with our hiring partners to evaluate opportunities for our curriculum
- Propose new course content and learning formats to promote continual student engagement
- Devise and maintain a set of student personas and learning outcomes for each of our courses
- Determine and monitor a set of KPIs to measure curriculum performance, impact, and student learning outcomes
Manage and deliver course content with world-class execution
- Write learning content for Designlab coursework, which is including but not limited to lessons, project prompts, rubrics, guidance for mentors, and learning outcomes
- As we grow, hire and manage a team of one or more writers to execute on curriculum updates within our CMS
Drive improvements to our curriculum and the student learning experience
- Devise and manage ongoing processes to continually improve how curriculum translates into course content and instructional design
- Ideate, define, and champion feature enhancements to our online platform to measurably improve the student learning experience
- Monitor and triage student and mentor requests, bug reports, and QA issues related to all Designlab curriculum
// REQUIREMENTS //
We’re looking for an experienced design industry professional who also has a demonstrated track record of achievement in an academic context. The ideal candidate has:
- 3+ years academic teaching experience. This includes creating curricula and designing and teaching both individual courses and learning paths with multiple courses. You will have a track record of student success, and clearly articulated philosophies on how to craft and deliver learning content that lead to strong outcomes.
- 5+ years digital product/UX/UI design experience in a senior-level role, preferably as a team lead or hiring manager, with an informed point of view on design industry trends.
- Exemplary written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Previous project management experience, ideally in working with remote/distributed teams.
- Strong demonstrated history of problem solving skills.
- Comfortable in a fast paced environment. Previous experience in a startup is a plus.
- A passion for teaching and disrupting the current education landscape with technology
- A vision to cultivate and equip students with tools to thrive in a design-led future.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in design or a related competency. Master’s degree preferred.
Ideally, you have experience with developing courses and teaching in a 'flipped classroom' model, and have taught in both in-person and online environments.
// PERKS //
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Work remotely and/or from co-working spaces where you live
- Flexible hours — you set your own schedule
- Generous paid vacation policy
- Health & dental benefits
- Choose your own Mac setup
- Work with a talented, mission-driven team on a product that’s innovating in the online education space with thousands of learners around the world
// HOW TO APPLY //
To apply for this role, please send a cover letter, resume or CV, and a link to a portfolio that demonstrates your design and teaching experience.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visa status at this time.
Designlab is an online platform for expert-driven creative education. Students learn design skills through online courses with hands-on projects, live 1-on-1 mentorship from top designers, and community interaction.
We offer 2 types of courses: 1) 4-week part-time courses helping students learn basic design skills (topics like Interaction Design, UX Research, UI Design, etc.), and 2) an intensive 3 or 6-month course called UX Academy that trains students for full-time UX design roles.
As we scale, we plan to 3-5x our lineup of short courses, add more advanced "bootcamp"-style courses, roll out standalone subscription mentorship products, and release new content types like expert-created video workshops. We're building a robust ecosystem of rigorous content to help people continually level up skills throughout their careers.
As we grow, we can partner with companies in multiple ways: recruiting (connecting our students & mentors for FT/PT work opportunities); team training; and more.