Searching beyond the bounds of human intuition to deliver novel products and materials
Project Manager, Products
The Project Manager will work closely with the VP of Strategy & Projects, the Project Management team and technical project leaders to manage the planning and execution of projects for the Products team. This position will report directly to the Associate Director, Project Management and will take additional guidance from other Product leadership members.
This role will involve a significant amount of interaction across the company and requires interfacing across several internal and external parties on more than one project. As such, the Project Manager must be able to effectively communicate with chemists, polymer scientists/materials engineers and business development to coordinate delivery on project goals. The project manager will also be required to summarize project milestones and KPIs to internal stakeholders to communicate project progress and status of upcoming deadlines. The position will require excellent interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication, and the ability to represent the company externally to research partners and vendors.
An ideal candidate has prior experience in management of multidisciplinary R&D projects and product launches with an educational background in chemistry/materials science/chemical engineering.
Immediate activities include:
- Scheduling of project research and gate reviews with oversight on presentation materials
- Facilitation of inter-team communication and collaboration by use of project management and team collaboration tools (Gantt charts, Milestones, and Task Lists)
- Defining project timelines and interdependencies for commercialization of new products
- Conducting project team meetings and ensuring timely distribution of meeting minutes and action items
- Contract management; working with 3rd party vendors/consultants/etc.
- Defining budget for projects and tracking ongoing costs
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Project management on one to two active projects for the Products division (scheduling, reporting, communication, risk assessment, coordination) and implementation of our stage-gate process
- Business process development - working as part of PM team with groups in other parts of the company to optimize our interactions and identify process improvements and efficiencies.
- Maintaining up to date project timelines that highlight critical path and interdependencies across cross-functional
- BS in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering or similar field and 8+ years of industrial experience R&D OR PhD in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering or similar field and 4+ years of industrial experience
- Demonstrated understanding of new product development and commercialization
- Demonstrated ability in technical project management
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen at a glance
Zymergen focuses on Robotics, Machine Learning, Software, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and Emeryville. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Zymergen has raised $576M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.