Searching beyond the bounds of human intuition to deliver novel products and materials
Project Manager (or Senior Project Manager), Facilities - Boston
Zymergen is a fast-growing company in search of a Senior Project Manager to lead the build out of large capital projects including our corporate headquarters in Emeryville, CA. The scope of projects will include office, laboratory, manufacturing, and infrastructure projects. We are seeking a Project Manager to be able to evaluate mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems for energy-efficient operation, offer solutions to improve efficiency, oversee the implementation and commissioning to deliver a fully operational system. The successful candidate will act as the primary liaison among user groups, designers and contractors during the entire project lifecycle from inception, programming, design, cost estimating and execution and close out.
- Oversee and evaluate the structural, civil, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and architectural scopes during the life cycle of the project. Manage the day to day work, recommend solutions and oversee the implementation to deliver a fully operational system.
Development of project design criteria and design calculations. Coordinate design details, plans, drawings, within the project scope.
- Develops criteria and performance specifications required to meet unique operating requirements and building and safety codes. Ensures plans and specifications conform to all codes and regulations.
- Lead both internal and external cross-functional project team. Hires architectural, engineering and consultant firms to develop project requirement definitions, design criteria, and preparing layouts and detail drawings. Provides leadership expertise, direction, and management of the engineers, architects and other consultants.
- Project planning: responsible for project planning including economic and feasibility analysis, business case development, conceptual and schematic design, cost estimating, scope development, project execution planning, and preparation of requests for capital expenditure
- Project execution: detail design, preparation of equipment specifications, procurement, cost and schedule control, commissioning, qualification, and start-up.
- Regularly review project schedules, analyze and monitor construction progress to determine impacts to schedule and provide feedback to stakeholders, executive, and capital projects team.
- Coordinates and manages the full cycle of estimation, quantities, and budget tracking. Prepares and approves cost estimates, functional studies and establishes project schedule and budget and reviews with clients. Establishes milestones and monitors adherence to master plans, budgets, and schedules.
- Participates in equipment and system start-up and commissioning activities. Supervises internal and external resources during all phases of commissioning execution.
- Provide oversight and responsibility for OSHA compliance and the CA Building Code.
- Meet regularly with key stakeholders to understand business needs and develop supply/demand data for management review.
- Partner with IT, Automation, and Process Engineering to lead efforts in the design and implementation of critical equipment.
- Partner with Finance to regularly update forecast versus cash scenarios, update asset dates and identify financial risks.
- Ensure compliance with local/state/federal/country/regional regulations. Establish relationships with public entities; City, private utilities, and county.
- Partnering with the procurement team to oversee contracts and MSA requirements.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment by enforcing EH&S procedures and GMP regulations (as applicable).
- Manage day to day facility operations.
- Oversee and schedule vendors for maintenance needs
- Support daily service tickets from internal employees.
- Collaborate with internal departments on daily and future needs of the facility.
- Provide metrics and data on utilities and requests from users.
- Bachelors’ degree in Construction Management, Facility Management, Engineering, Business or related field required.
- OSHA 30 certified highly preferred
- At least 4+ years of experience with at least 2 years’ experience in a Project Management or Facilities lead role. Combination of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities in construction management, facility management, and project documentation.
- Advanced technical knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, design, development, and implementation.
- Advanced knowledge of building and construction, design, construction contract administration, OSHA, and California Building Codes, including advanced understanding of industry practices, or deep expertise in a highly specialized and critical discipline.
- Advanced project management skills to effectively manage highly complex projects, or highly specialized and critical project component.
- Advanced analytical, organizational and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Projects, CMMS systems and Bluebeam.
- Advanced knowledge with building systems, codes and ADA requirements. Experience coordinating with Building department city officials and local and county fire department inspectors.
- Extensive experience in construction contracts, RFP’s, and MSA contracts. Advanced knowledge of the development and use of contracts, estimates, and specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Self-motivated team leader with extensive experience in all phases of Engineering Architecture, and Planning.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to establish and maintain positive relationships with Zymergen colleagues.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen at a glance
Zymergen focuses on Robotics, Machine Learning, Software, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and Emeryville. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Zymergen has raised $576M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.