Searching beyond the bounds of human intuition to deliver novel products and materials
Senior Technical Writer
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
As the senior technical writer, you will be joining a growing engineering and product management organization. You will be responsible for clearly and concisely communicating new and existing features of our software for our internal user base of scientists and factory technicians. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with software product managers, software engineers, and users to determine documentation and training needs.
- Define appropriate touchpoints to collect and understand documentation requests and upcoming software features.
- Document new software features in our internal software applications, information repository (internal wiki), and release notes.
- Organize software documentation. Work within existing information architecture across one or more product lines; proactively suggest opportunities for improvement.
- Help coordinate a flexible and lightweight documentation process, including appropriate reviews.
- Help standardize language and terminology across product features.
- Create and maintain onboarding materials to help new users get up to speed on our core software. Depending on interest, periodically assist with internal training covering software topics for different user groups.
- B.S. or higher in biology, computer science, or other STEM field; or equivalent software technical writing experience.
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Ability to work well with technical subject matter experts as both developers and users of software
- Experience writing user-facing documentation; ability to understand and effectively communicate about software from the user point of view
- Ability to structure written content thoughtfully with a view to maintenance and re-usability. Considers best practices for capturing content and publishing documentation and brings experience and research to bear in suggesting new tools / methods to use.
- Detail-oriented work style, with few mistakes of understanding
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently, defining and meeting project objectives
- Familiarity with wiki software such as Confluence
- Familiarity with version control software such as Git
- Familiarity with software development and release lifecycles
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen at a glance
Zymergen focuses on Robotics, Machine Learning, Software, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and Emeryville. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Zymergen has raised $576M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.