Searching beyond the bounds of human intuition to deliver novel products and materials
Sales Director Electronics, Asia
The Sales Director Electronics Asia will be accountable for growth and managing opportunities and revenue creation for established products within Zymergen’s three core platforms – films, adhesives and coatings. The role will be the final responsible person for developing a customer base and maintaining a project pipeline in region. He/she would be working across the global electronics value chain, including suppliers, partners, converters and OEMs, with many companies based in Asia. This is an exciting role given the fact that Zymergen is introducing new polymers and products to the electronics manufacturing markets, introducing biology and improved performance.
He/she will own and is accountable for executing on agreed-upon deliverables. This means that both strategy development as well as operational tasks in the region are part of the job scope. Also coordination on a global scale will be a core task as our customers may specify in 1 region and produce in another.
The diversity of tasks and complexity will ask for excellent communication and matrix management skills as well as an ability to set priorities both on a strategic and operational level. Excellent communication skills are needed, both internally and externally. Creative problem solving is important in order to navigate new opportunities with clients to introduce our new solutions.
Zymergen is planning to move the world in Materials and focuses on Specialties based on its unique and distinctive capabilities available thanks to Industrial Biotechnology. This position offers a unique possibility to lead that change.
This role will be based in our Tokyo or Taiwan office.
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
- Develop marketing and sales plan for region
- Meet commercial targets in revenue and margin
- Build networks in value chain at senior level
- Build organization and talent pipeline
- Block and tackle commercial issues, support supply chain
- Support marketing organization in identifying new product opportunities
- 7-10 years of Industry Experience, including 3-5 years of specifying and selling specialty materials in complex global electronics supply chains
- Established network of contacts in Asian Electronics scene, preferable Taiwan, China, Vietnam and link these with the US based industry management.
- Experience working with customer product designers, material specifiers, purchasing leads and senior leadership.
- A demonstrated track record of bringing new innovative specialty products to the market in a growing organization.
- Experience working across multiple functions to deliver results - R&D, product design, manufacturing, supply chain, purchasing management, quality control, etc.
- Min 5 years of experience in serving customers in diverse and global industries.
- Demonstrated ability to drive projects and timelines
- Demonstrated capability to manage and achieve competing priorities in a complex organization
- Native Mandarin language and business English skills are a must. Japanese language skills would be additional value.
- TOEIC score >800
This is a unique and pivotal role in a fast-growing company and offers the opportunity to shape the future of specialty materials and our customer experiences. The Zymergen platform offers the capability to make complex polymers with unique properties. You will work in an incredibly diverse and talented team.
Zymergen at a glance
Zymergen focuses on Robotics, Machine Learning, Software, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and Emeryville. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Zymergen has raised $576M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2018.