Connecting people with great local businesses
Data Analyst (Remote)
At Yelp, it’s our mission to connect people with great local businesses. From a coffee connoisseur’s review of a neighborhood cafe, to a homeowner’s request for a quote to remodel their kitchen, Yelp’s data captures millions of user-business interactions every day.
The Data Science & Analytics team prides itself on harnessing the power of this data. We test and learn, build tools and lead meaningful analyses to extract insights that influence Yelp’s product and business strategy.
We’re looking for a self-motivated critical thinker whose intellectual curiosity is met with a healthy dose of skepticism. You’ll work with our team of data scientists and analysts. You value the integrity of your work, sanity check analyses before drawing conclusions, and take pride in telling stories with data. You are a team player who is an excellent communicator, quick learner, and as excited about Yelp as we are.
What We're Looking For:
- 3+ years of quantitative industry experience, ideally within the consumer product space or data journalism.
- Excellent SQL skills, fluency in Python, and experience with at least one statistical package (R, Pandas/NumPy/SciPy/matplotlib, Stata, Matlab).
- Experience writing compelling stories using data that convey technically sound analyses to a broad audience in an accessible way.
- An eye for compelling data visualization and extensive experience with related tools (Tableau, Mode, Looker).
- Solid understanding of statistical inference and analytic bias. Familiarity with financial modeling and advanced statistics (regression, non parametrics, predictive modeling) a plus.
- Strongly desired: understanding of economic data and trends, and ability to examine relationships between our data and macro national/local trends.
What You Will Do:
- Lead broad analytics projects core to Yelp’s business and public reputation, communicate key insights using a combination of writing and data visualizations to a broad audience.
- Manage tight deadlines and quickly iterate analyses to answer unstructured questions, deliver insightful learnings, and write reports for public consumption.
- Work cross-functionally with public relations, product, and engineering to define, log, and measure key metrics.
- Generate dashboards and automate reports that empower teams across the organization to make data-driven decisions.
- Grow and maintain impactful relationships with stakeholders of both technical and non technical backgrounds with clear and frequent communication.
Yelp at a glance
Yelp focuses on Mobile, Internet, Search, Local, and Reviews and Recommendations. Their company has offices in San Francisco and New York. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees. To date, Yelp has raised $146M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2012.