We help underemployed workers find flexible work in minutes at businesses across the US
Senior Software Developer, Backend$150k – $192k • 0.01% – 0.05%
Wonolo, which stands for Work Now Locally, is disrupting the $70bn temporary staffing industry. Founded in 2014, Wonolo is a remote-first company with three regional hubs: San Francisco Bay Area, Nashville, and Toronto. We have built a tech-enabled marketplace that connects businesses in need of front-line workers on a temporary or seasonal basis, with 300,000 underemployed workers in local markets all across the country. Our mission is to empower the in-demand workforce by providing flexible and fulfilling job opportunities for everyone.
Wonolo is looking for a Senior Back-end Developer who can help us continue to scale our back-end platform, which supports and enables better feature development for our web and mobile products. Over the last few years, we have had massive user growth which is continuing to accelerate by our success attracting larger enterprise customers. Given their more complex needs, we are looking to bring in talented developers with several years of industry experience working on Ruby on Rails back-end systems operating at scale, and a track record of achieving architectural changes with minimal downtime.
We are open to remote candidates located anywhere in Canada.
What you'll do:
- Write high-performing, maintainable code while iterating and shipping rapidly
- Participate in ideating, designing, and executing significant architectural change
- Wrangle a test harness around existing legacy code
- Build out solid core libraries for use by feature teams to build out product
- Identify and extract microservices out of existing Rails monolith
- Coach remote team members through code reviews on OOP practices and design patterns
- Incrementally raise and enforce the bar for acceptable code quality
Who you are:
- You have at least five (5) years of industry experience working on an established Ruby on Rails backed system operating at scale and made contributions towards achieving architectural change with minimal downtime
- You want to simplify ALL the things; we have too much to do to reason about complex code again and again
- You care deeply about the craft of software development and stay on top of emerging technologies and best practices
- You can articulate technical trade-offs of different approaches, know how and when to deviate from established best practices, and can admit when you’re wrong
- You have the desire to grow, mentor, and learn from your fellow developers, regardless of level
- You exemplify a humble competence that inspires others and raises our collective bar (#OneTeamOneDream)
Benefits and perks:
- The opportunity for growth in a mission-driven and well-funded start-up
- Competitive salary, meaningful equity, and company bonus
- We cover 100% insurance (medical/dental/vision) premiums
- Parental leave plan
- Cell phone reimbursement, laptop
- Life and disability insurance
- Open vacation policy, flexible schedule, and the option to work from anywhere in Canada
- Team outings, happy hours, company off-sites, and more!
100% medical / dental / vision plans covered for you and 80% for your dependents
Parental leave plan
Three month paid parental leave, plus 4-week transition period and cash bonus
Remote-first policy, with option to work from anywhere in the United States and Canada
Unlimited paid time off
Unlimited paid time off and flexible schedule
Company offsites, happy hours, team bonding events, and more!
Pre-tax commuter / parking benefits, company laptop, cellphone reimbursement
Wonolo at a glance
Wonolo focuses on Marketplaces, Local, Startups, Temporary Staffing, and Staffing Firms. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Toronto, and Nashville. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Wonolo has raised $52.9M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2018.