We organise the world’s weather data into the most valuable local information
Senior iOS Developer - Remote$0k – $50k • No equity
WillyWeather is a feature rich weather website and mobile app that beautifully delivers the most accurate local weather data from best in class data sources. Going beyond the average weather service, we process and fine-tune forecasts to the specific coordinates of over 45,000 Australian locations.
WillyWeather is the fastest growing weather service in Australia, with a loyal user base of over 3 million accessing the service each month. We have launched in the UK and US, and are on track to be the leading provider of local weather services worldwide.
Our iOS app has been built by a single developer since its release in 2013. We’re looking for an iOS developer to improve our “bus factor”, and increase our development velocity. We’ve got a huge set of features planned and need someone to come on board to make them a reality. This is a fantastic opportunity to have an immediate impact working on one of Australia’s most used apps.
About the Job
You’ll work primarily to support the lead iOS developer. This is a full-time permanent position where you'll craft everything from big pieces of architecture through to little pieces of polished interactions. You'll help keep our app running reliably and you'll release updates to the App Store. You'll only ship software that you're proud to show your friends and family. While it’s an existing iOS app, there is plenty of green-fields work as well. We are low-legacy and have a full future feature list, we are always keen to try the new things coming from Cupertino.
Our lead iOS developer, designer and management team are all working remotely. This role will also be remote. All task management is organised with GitHub Issues and almost all our communication is managed through Slack, with the occasional video call. The iOS team will have daily video stand-up meetings as well.
- Our app is 100% Swift
- We prefer in-house frameworks over adding external dependencies (our graphing framework is entirely built by us)
- We use Carthage to manage our dependencies and Fastlane to manage our releases
- We use XCTest, and would like to improve our coverage
- All commits are reviewed before making it to master
- We support the latest major release of iOS, and one previous to reduce legacy code
- Our UI is currently built with UIKit (both Auto Layout, in code and IB as well as springs/struts in places) but we’re very excited to move to SwiftUI for the upcoming iOS 14 widgets and improve our watchOS app About You We’re looking for a candidate with at least four years’ experience with Swift. Our lead developer and web team will be there to help when needed. We see this as a long-term relationship where over time you’ll take more responsibility for domains in the app. Ideally you’ll have shipped at least one iOS app from start to finish so you have an understanding of the App Store and its intricacies.
We invite debate and we encourage alternative ways of thinking, but when we commit, we put our differences aside and we see it through.
We’re looking for a candidate with:
- Excellent English skills
- 4+ years working with Swift
- Experience working with watchOS
- Experience with complex and custom UI
- Read and understand the HIG for each Apple platform and be comfortable arguing for (or against) UI design decisions
- Bachelor of Computer Science, or equivalent (preferred, but not required)
- A strong knack for problem solving
- Experience with test-driven development
- The ability to self manage, work remotely and communicate through text and voice
WillyWeather at a glance
WillyWeather focuses on iOS, Android, and Website. Their company has offices in Sydney and Pune. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.
You can view their website at http://www.willyweather.com.au/?campaign=jobad