A new universal standard for communicating location
This role will initially report directly into our General Counsel and will involve working on a myriad of interesting legal matters. You will get to see directly how your work fuels the growth of one of the most interesting technology companies headquartered in London.
In addition, given the global nature of the business, every day will see you work on a matter, involving a different jurisdiction (and often multiple jurisdictions in the same day). In the last quarter alone, what3words was used in every country in the world with the exception of only two
The what3words legal team aims to be a business “enabler”, encouraging and furthering sustainable growth, and this means that we are looking for someone that is capable of thinking creatively and finding solutions to any problem – even when there is no tried and tested answer
You’ll also be able to juggle multiple different things and be comfortable interacting with multiple different stakeholders at once. If you are passionate about technology, interested in start-ups, enjoy working on a wide variety of matters and want to work in a role that offers you the chance to have a visible impact in a growing business - then this could be the perfect opportunity.
Who We Are :
The what3words team is on a mission to create the global standard for communicating location. We’re making the world an easier, more efficient and safer place for everyone.
We are a global company located in West London’s creative hub. Our headquarters are near Portobello Road and a short walk from Westbourne Park and Royal Oak tube stations.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.
We are looking for someone to start this role as soon as possible in, so applications will be considered as and when we receive them.
Please note that this role will be based in our London office, therefore we will only accept applications from individuals based in London (or ready to move to London immediately) and those that have authorisation to work in the UK.
You will have experience in, and will be comfortable running with, the following:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements with a particular emphasis on software/licensing contracts
- Maintaining commercial contract templates and online terms and conditions
- Providing GDPR and privacy law advice to numerous departments in the business
- Ensuring what3words remains in compliance with a wide variety of international regulations
- Administration: hard and soft copy document management and review; liaising with internal departments across a variety of documents"
Bonus points for experience in any of the following but otherwise you will be keen to learn about:
- IP: managing our expanding trademark and patent portfolio
- Data privacy: knowledge of the GDPR and its impact across the business
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption: ensuring proper internal and external measures are in place
- HR/Employment: working with HR to ensure internal policies are appropriate, employee incentive schemes are administered according to the appropriate frameworks, providing support for any legalities required for joiners and leavers
- Corporate: due diligence and company secretarial matters
- Miscellaneous: research and advice on specific international matters (e.g. with regards to mapping laws in China, South Korea etc.); new market launches; legal operations; general commercial/legal/operations support
- You will be a 1 to 4 PQE solicitor in a commonwealth jurisdiction – we are flexible on experience level and focused solely on finding the right individual for the role
- Bachelor’s degree + LPC or an equivalent combination of education or experienced required
- Ideally some in-house experience, whether directly or via secondment
- Experience in a similar role
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written with the ability to explain complex concepts to people with very limited knowledge of legal concepts
- Highly professional in your approach, and discreet and responsible with confidential information
- A “can-do” attitude: able to work at pace and turn your hand to new things
- Excellent organizational skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Comfortable working on the more “exciting” tasks as well as more administrative matters and applying the same effort and attention to both
- Enjoy working directly with the business and are keen to understand the drivers and motivations of the different teams that legal supports
Extra credit if you:
- Have worked in a technology company, or supported technology companies in a commercial role
- Have international experience
- Salary: Competitive
- 25 days holiday
- Share options
- Private healthcare
- Cycle to work
- VDU eye tests
- Free breakfast & snacks
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Regular team lunches & team socials
- Sports and hobbies clubs
what3words at a glance
what3words focuses on Mobile, Location Based Services, Automotive, Maps, and Logistics. Their company has offices in London. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, what3words has raised $13.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2016.