Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Senior Software Engineer - Scribe Platform
Senior Software Engineer
Scribe is a general purpose event definition and real-time tracking platform. While originally built to model customer behavior, it has long since become a standard in-house technology for general purpose event tracking.
One of the biggest value adds of the team is the cataloguing/organization of events under its watch. Each event a "customer" submits is reviewed/guided by our team to enforce best practices, correctness and to avoid duplication of existing events. This in turn gives a strong end-user experience to subscribers of the datasets who can more easily navigate to consistent definitions.
What You'll Do
- Work with senior leadership to architect solutions and ensure that we deliver the right functionality, in a timely manner
- Provide high quality reviews, both for code and technical designs
- Mentor junior engineers to develop the next generation of Wayfair engineering
- Handle ambiguity with limited oversight; leverage technical acumen, experience, and network to answer questions and remove roadblocks
- Propose and own initiatives to completion while balancing various trade-offs including speed to delivery vs. ongoing maintainability and others
- Collaborate well with senior management, product managers, and all other stakeholders
- Provide high quality contributions to the code base, with a mind to best practices and an equally high degree of autonomy
What You'll Need
- Experience as a full lifecycle software engineer and deep understanding of a modern programming language (such as Python, Java, C#, Scala, GO, or others)
- Experience developing and designing scalable systems
- Deep understanding and experience of object oriented design and design patterns
- Proponent of clean code and best practices
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Experience developing and designing recommendation systems and productionalizing ML models for real time decisions
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.