Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Senior Software Engineer - Mobile
Senior Software Engineer - Mobile
By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Engineering leadership roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who We Are:
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Partnering with Product, Experience Design, Analytics and business leaders across Wayfair, our Engineering teams ensure that we’re building technology that solves important customer problems in elegant, scalable, measurable ways.
Our Engineering organization includes a variety of teams solving interesting problems:
- Storefront: Shopping for your home can be overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case - it's visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 14 million products. Our software engineering teams work to make an extremely complex process seamless for our customers. Shopping for your home should be exciting, and we want every customer to come away feeling like they've found the perfect item for them.
- Wayfair’s Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence Engineering team builds solutions that let Wayfair communicate with new and existing customers effectively across advertising, email, and onsite touchpoints. This team is at the intersection of product, marketing, data science, and technology which allows us to be a leader in the Ad Technology space. We are using cutting edge intelligent systems, big data at scale, and world class ad tech to drive phenomenal growth in a multi-billion dollar business.
- The Supply Chain teams are responsible for all of the systems related to the physical movement of Wayfair products. Everything from warehousing, order tracking, inventory forecasting to routing systems and final mile delivery. This group is essential to ensuring customers are provided with the best service experience in e-commerce. The majority of Wayfair’s business is built on repeat customers and it is important for them to have a smooth delivery experience to ensure they keep them coming back.
- The Sales, Service and Enterprise platforms are focused on building and improving software that directly impacts customers, customer service agents, sales associates, Finance, Talent Management and external vendors. Our engineers are responsible for all the tools and processes to support these business-critical operations of Wayfair, along with supporting the continued enhancement and scaling capabilities of these systems. Engineers use data, user-centric design, machine learning, and Agile to achieve operational excellence, fueling company growth.
What you’ll do:
- Write high quality Java, Kotlin and/or Swift code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers, and evaluate new frameworks and libraries.
- Lead development for complex projects such as new apps, migrations, and automation. Define best practices and coding standards for the many teams that contribute to our Android app & iOS apps, and address key areas of architectural vulnerability.
- Meet with product managers and backend developers to architect features, and lead the work to be tackled by the team.
- Work with designers and product managers to refine our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Apple/Android best practices in Wayfair’s journey to being a mobile-first organization.
- Participate in cross-team workgroups to improve our approaches to testing, UI components, GraphQL, or other areas.
- Mentor and teach junior developers entering as new hires or as part of our new entry-level bootcamp program: Wayfair Mobile Labs; review code and provide clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups.
- Collaborate with our mobile platform team to improve our build processes, automation, and CI/CD.
What you’ll need:
- An Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, at least 5 years of professional Android or iOS development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services, and at least 1 year of leading a team in a senior capacity (tech lead/architect).
- A passion for writing clean, readable, and thoroughly tested code, and an eagerness to share your expertise with others.
- A mastery of Android or iOS fundamentals, interacting with endpoints, debugging, and memory management.
- Experience having architected or designed complex features with product managers or other stakeholders
- A deep understanding of architecture patterns such as MVP, MVVM, Clean/VIPER, etc., as well as async patterns (Android)
- A drive to learn about new libraries and technologies, stay on the cutting edge of the evolving mobile landscape and an eagerness to create experiences that will delight users.
- A genuine belief that constructive and respectful code reviews are the bedrock of a healthy team.
Additionally, we’d love to discuss further if you have:
- Knowledge of GraphQL.
- Familiarity with building retail e-commerce applications
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.