Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Senior Software Engineering Manager - Merchandising
Who we are
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, decor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Senior Engineering Manager to join our Merchandising Engineering team and build high performance engineering teams responsible for powering our platform architectures. In this strategic role, you will partner closely with internal stakeholders across the business who include Engineering, Product and Executive Leadership. Your impact will drive efforts to tackle some of the most challenging problems we face as we continue to create a best-in-class shopping experience for our customers.
What you will do
- Lead one or more multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Ensure your team has a compelling vision, mission, and the metrics to measure progress and success.
- Be accountable for the outcome of your team’s products including design, development, test, monitoring, and deployment.
- Partner with your product peers and stakeholders to define meaningful goals, projects, and project stories
- Engage your team to construct the technical roadmap and drive planning and delivery and continuous improvement.
- Hire and develop both inclusive and collaborative high-performing engineering teams.
- Develop your team(s) members’ skills and careers
- Prioritize and optimize for sustainable time-to-value and high-quality engineering.
- Take calculated risks and manage trade-offs, articulating and taking accountability for the short and long-term consequences with partners.
- Provide technical insight and judgment of feature/schedule/cost trade-offs.
- Maintain and continuously improve agile delivery and engineering practices.
- Lead collaborative design and architecture discussions ensuring different perspectives are considered and ensure trade-offs and risks are well understood.
What we look for in you
- You have an established track record in people and technical leadership.
- Experience of being responsible for the build and operation of products or services of varied scale and complexity.
- Software development experience covering system design, programming, algorithms, performance, architecture, testing, monitoring, deployment and 24/7 operations.
- Practical experience in hiring and developing engineering teams, individuals, and culture.
- A natural collaborator and communicator with the ability to influence partners and peers at different levels.
- An accomplished mentor and coach with good performance management skills.
- Experience of leading interdisciplinary teams in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Degree in Computer Science, a technical discipline or equivalent work experience
And finally, our proposition to you!
- Extensive career and growth opportunities in a fast-growing technology & retail powerhouse
- Training & development, including world-class mentoring and tuition reimbursement for education relevant to your career
- Opportunity to travel to Boston to work with your global peers
- Subsidized private pension fund (BAV)
- Subsidized gym membership (Urban Sports Club), free yoga classes and wellness weeks
- Subsidized public transport subscription
- Discounts on Wayfair.de for employee purchases
- Participation in conferences & meetups we organize and sponsor
- Monthly budget for social team events
- Fully and partially subsidized office-wide social events (ski-trips, Oktoberfest, quarterly parties, etc...)
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.