Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Sr. Staff Engineer - Java Architect
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
What is the Tools & Services Team?
Our team delivers world-class Tools & Services that provide our customers superpowers to shop how they want, confidently buy, and fully enjoy their purchases, resulting in a longer and deeper relationship with Wayfair.
*About the Role *
Our teams are going through the exciting journey of replatforming from PHP to Java. We are looking for a strong and experienced architect who can guide the teams on a proper path towards decoupling and the use of Java while being very much hands-on through auxiliary engineering missions.
How will you contribute?
- Utilize subject matter expertise to guide the various pods within Tools & Services on proper architectural scope, patterns, paradigms, etc.
- Help to initiate a set of best practices for Java development for all backend engineers
- Quickly understand the needs of the business and help to develop a technical plan to achieve those related goals by supporting critical and complex initiatives
- Elevate engineers at all levels, especially on the Java platform, with mentorship and coaching
- Initiate a set of tooling practices for code coverage, unit tests, performance metrics, etc.
- Help push the various initiatives of the Superpod Architects team impacting most Tools & Services pod and identify opportunities for innovation ranging from product features to technical investments
- Be an auxiliary engineer taking on missions as needed by teams
- Communicate effectively up, down, and across the organization to drive ideas, keep stakeholders informed, build rapport, and execute on strategic initiatives.
*What You'll Need: *
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, with preference for candidates with a mix of start-up and large-company experience
- Hands-on experience driving software development within high-growth environments at scale
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis-driven problem solving, turning data into actionable insights
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience driving teams forward and with the ability to influence decisions
- Experience with Kubernetes, Python, containerization and microservices preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
*About Us: *
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.