Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Principal Engineer, Storefront
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, decor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
Storefront Engineering is the team that builds nearly all customer facing features and functionality across all of our brands, geographies, and devices. We are a team of ~500 engineers largely based in Boston, and in 2019 over $9B of sales flowed through the platform you will help build. In this role, you will be responsible for understanding our current architecture and driving our product and engineering teams forward with platform enhancements. Your work will impact millions of customers around the world, and as the sole Principal Engineer on Storefront, you will have a tremendous opportunity to impact the business.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as a technical leader and drive the future roadmap of Storefront software platforms
- Collaborate with stakeholders across product and engineering to understand pain points and drive initiatives forward
- Act as a trusted mentor and advisor to other engineers and help develop their skills while assisting them on a variety of projects
- Leverage data to understand risks, priorities and scope of business objectives and develop near term goals and strategic vision
- Drive software development initiatives and API development across dozens of services within Storefront
- Show a passion for innovation and results
What You'll Need:
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, with preference for candidates with a mix of start-up and large-company experience
- Hands-on experience driving software transformations within high-growth environments at scale
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis-driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience driving teams forward and ability to influence decisions
- Experience with Kubernetes, Java, containerization, and microservices preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.