Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Senior Staff Engineer
Senior Staff Software Engineer
Wayfair is the leader in online home goods commerce and growing at a breakneck pace. Our platforms support millions of people searching within millions of products everyday for a unique purchase and delivery experience. Come join a team of highly motivated engineers committed to lead us to our next $10B in revenue. Our unique Supply Chain which optimizes for speedy delivery of our large home goods products is a key strategic advantage, and in this role you will have a significant technical impact, while helping us build innovative solutions which will fuel our growth. We are looking for an Senior Staff Engineer with high standards of excellence, strong sense of sound software design principles, and the capacity to lead by example through focused production of high quality code and software designs. While sharing your knowledge, experience, and skills with others is important, we are looking for candidates who enjoy writing software as much as talking to others about what software to write. The ideal candidate is looking for an environment where they can work alongside their team and be given the latitude to build their services without the continual burden of cross-team coordination and a crushing burden of non-stop meetings.
What You'll Do
- You will design and develop cutting-edge solutions which allow for reuse and extensibility while still solving the primary problem at scale.
- Design solutions for multiple services, work in the code, guide team, and understand at a detailed level how the software works.
- You will leverage your deep knowledge of computing systems to build Wayfair’s next generation services platform.
- Advise engineering management on technical roadmap, ensuring that the vision aligns with broader company objectives.
- Lead your teammates by example, as an extremely senior member of the team you will let your code and system designs demonstrate the path the team should follow.
- Help grow other engineers technically by mentoring, pairing and developing other learning opportunities.
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and strengthen the technical expertise of our engineering and product teams.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering and designing systems at scale.
- Hands-on experience driving software developments within high-growth environments at scale.
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis- driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience driving teams forward and ability to influence decisions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Mix of start-up and large-company experience.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Python, containerization and microservices preferred
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.