Wayfair is a technology leader, reinventing the way people shop for their homes
Sr. Staff Engineer - Performance Engineering
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
What You'll Do
As a Performance Engineer, you will be evaluating the site to uncover areas where performance improvements can be made. Your primary focus will be on the web-stack; however, you will also have to understand how infrastructure influences site performance.
- You will provide recommendations, and in some cases implement the changes, that result in concrete speed improvements for our Storefront customers.
- You will exercise your broad knowledge base including caching strategies, event processing, database design, networking, and software design patterns. It is important you are current and continue to stay up to date on the industry standards and emerging technology.
- You will get a unique chance to impact multiple engineering teams at Wayfair on a daily basis and be a champion for performance.
The results of your work will be felt by all visitors to the Wayfair website or app.
What You'll Need
- At least 10 years experience in software development with a preference for expertise in software architecture and design for systems at scale.
- Proven experience in performance analysis and troubleshooting.
- Preference for demonstrated ability to write performant Java code.
- Experience with relational databases, non-relational data stores, and caching strategies.
- An interest in complicated problems and working with many other teams.
- The drive to transform research into reality.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair at a glance
Wayfair focuses on E-Commerce, Home & Garden, Home Decor, and Furniture. Their company has offices in Boston and Berlin. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Wayfair has raised $358M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2014 at a valuation of $2.4B.