The leading ground travel search in North America
Vice President of Engineering$150k – $200k • 0.2% – 1.0%
Wanderu’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to help lead and scale out the team further. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback.
We are polyglots for everything – coding languages, frameworks, databases, and human languages. We build our UX in React, Swift and Kotlin. We use Python, Golang and Node.js for our APIs, backed by MongoDB, PostgreSQL, and a myriad of AWS resources.
In this role, you will be key to the development and management of the Wanderu technology platforms and teams.
● You are passionate about building great engineering teams and enjoy coaching individual contributors and team leads to help them grow in their careers. People are most important to you in your career.
You believe in data-driven decision making versus gut-instinct alone whenever possible.
● You build and foster strong relationships between technical and non-technical team members and help each understand the business and technical requirements necessary to release to production environments.
● You know that there is never just one path to a solution and that the key to being a great manager is to coach your team to encourage them to find the solutions that move the product forward quickly without sacrificing quality.
● You thrive in a fast-paced environment and believe in getting products out quickly and iterating.
● Your engineering career started on the front-end or the back-end, but you feel comfortable working with teams across the full stack.
● People. Manage a team of 30+ engineers (mixed between in-office and remote) spread across five teams. Strong focus on coaching and career development, ensuring that the team is structured in a way to be able to scale the team to up to 50 by the end of the year. Recruit, hire, and onboard several engineers of diverse backgrounds. Put together career roadmaps for the engineering organization and mentor individual contributors and team leads/managers to support their personal and career goals.
● Communication. Be the liaison between the engineering team and the executive team, travel partners and customers. There is no such thing as over-communication. Ensure that your team knows the goals of the business and the “why” behind decisions. Work closely with remote employees across different timezones to make sure they are comfortable with the level of communication and that the company does everything we can to make them successful. Ensure the executive team has a pulse on engineering and any needs that may arise. Communicate with partners on any features or issues that may arise. Work closely with the head of customer relations and the CS team on any tech-related customer facing issues.
● Product. Enable your teams to develop scalable high-performance software for a consumer-facing product with a global customer base. Make sure all of our products become known for speed and usability.
● Projects. Work closely with product management and engineering leads to ensure proper planning and prioritization on new initiatives as well as active management of the backlog and top priority bugs and customer reported issues. Empower the engineering team to achieve their goals with proper accountability and autonomy in a cross-functional squad structure.
● Pace. Make sure that we’re always building and shipping quickly, creating a culture of constantly shipping new features on an iterative basis and developing new features at a rapid pace, so that we can get customer feedback as quickly as possible. Collaborate across the company to balance long term technical health and rapid delivery of compelling features to continuously improve our products.
● Performance. Drive efficiency in your teams by eliminating roadblocks, finding effective solutions and focusing efforts around tooling, continuous delivery and sustainable automated testing. Foster a culture of operational excellence in your teams through metrics instrumentation, real-time monitoring and alerting on business and technical events.
● Excellent leadership, people management, project management, and communication skills.
● BS or more in computer science (preferred although not absolutely required).
● 5+ years managing teams of 25-50 software engineers in high-traffic Internet-based products, preferably in a consumer-facing environment.
Experience in a startup-like environment.
● Track record of collaboratively working with cross-functional teams to deliver complex business goals.
● Experience hiring dozens of engineers and managing with very little voluntary turnover.
● Positive attitude and willingness to roll up sleeves and dig deep to achieve goals.
How to apply
If you think this describes you, email us your resume along with any additional requirements to email@example.com.
Wanderu at a glance
Wanderu focuses on Search, Online Travel, Transportation, and Travel. Their company has offices in Boston. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Wanderu has raised $8.05M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2014.