Take your photography to the next level
Software Engineer, Server
You will build tools that push the limits of what we can do with photos and video on mobile. You are motivated by having a direct impact on the expression and education of millions of global creators, and will help them invest in themselves with intention. There is no higher order than an exceptional product. Clean code is implied.
The VSCO server team is responsible for building and maintaining backend services and systems that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the VSCO community. We work with product management, designers, data science and leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. Our engineering team manages 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes and gRPC that support millions of users; and our engineers specialize in running high-throughput, reliable services.
- Design and build highly-scaled backend services and systems
- Building functionalities for features such as feed, image and video serving, notifications, messaging, ML recommendation serving, and more.
- Work with other engineers on the team to solve difficult and exciting distributed system design and implementation problems
- Collaborate across engineering/product/design/marketing to deliver and launch projects
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance and simplicity of our systems
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience developing backend systems
- Strong software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- You like to solve hard problems, are eager to learn new things, communicate clearly and love to work in a collaborative environment
Nice to have
- You have experience with highly-scaled distributed systems
- You have a deep appreciation for photography and the visual arts
VSCO is a photo company. We build creative tools and a community driven by self-expression. Our mission is to equip, educate, and inspire anyone on the journey towards realizing their creative potential.
Equity, health, vision and dental insurance for families, and a flexible vacation policy.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.
VSCO provides a competitive benefits package, which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, disability & life insurance and One Medical membership.
Health & wellbeing
Our team’s health and wellness comes first. We fully cover benefit premiums
Paid family & medical leave
We have supportive leave policies for cases when employees need to take time off to take care of themselves or their family. We offer paid leave after 6 months of tenure (625+ hours).
We offer supportive medical leave options, and paid parental leave so you can take the time you need with your new addition.
VSCO offers an extension on your post-term option exercise period. When an employee works at VSCO for 2 years, they get 2 years to exercise their stock options if they leave the company.
Flexible time off policy
We recognize the need for all of us to take time off and recharge in whatever way works best for you. We have a generous vacation policy, and encourage each other to take breaks so that they come back to work refreshed.
Food & beverage program
We provide breakfast and lunch every day from a local catering company based in Oakland. We also have a wide array and every changing variety of snacks and beverages.
breakfast and lunch
Tech and wellness stipend
We offer a monthly stipend for employees to spend on their tech and wellness needs. This can be used on things like monthly cell & data plan, physical fitness classes, workshops, etc.
a beautiful office to create an environment where you can do your best work.
VSCO® at a glance
VSCO® focuses on Mobile, Internet, Photography, Photo Editing, and Software. Their company has offices in Chicago and Oakland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, VSCO® has raised $90M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2015.