Smart Local Data for Smart Cities and Intelligent Transport
Machine Learning Researcher£40k – £55k • 0.0% – 0.3%
We are still hiring despite the current pandemic. Our primary clients are governments, who are still purchasing sensors, extending networks, and using our data as a critical part of their fight against COVID-19. As such, please continue to apply & be part of a life-saving team!
At Vivacity, our goal is to make cities smarter. Our work reduces congestion by making traffic lights more intelligent, improves safety by spotting dangerous manoeuvres on the road, and supports autonomous vehicles & city management alike through real-time data.
To do this, we create cutting-edge products using machine learning, including sensors with on-board video analytics capabilities, and city-wide control and optimisation algorithms. We are currently rolling out thousands of sensors across the UK, and are seeking a passionate machine learning researcher to join our Smart Junctions team.
This is an exciting opportunity to take part in shaping the future of an energetic company dedicated to revolutionising the way our cities work while supporting the personal growth of every team member. On joining you can expect a warm welcome from a friendly team, with plenty of fun activities & a range of benefits.
As a machine learning researcher in the Smart Junctions team, you will be part of a group that’s developing new technologies to optimise traffic control in cities. We are revolutionising the way that traffic is managed by leveraging our existing expertise in applied machine-learning and by giving more power to network operators.
The Smart Junctions team is cross-disciplinary and includes software developers, systems and hardware engineers, machine-learning researchers and project management. As a member of the team, you’ll have an excellent opportunity to learn, grow and shape the direction of our current and future products.
Your day to day tasks will include:
- Design, implementation and evaluation of novel reinforcement learning algorithms and deep neural network architectures
- Analysis of road traffic sensor data, simulation outputs, and experimental results, and presentation of these analyses
- Collaborating with the broader team to lead research outputs into the real world
- Contributing to the development of our RL experiment platform
- Learning new libraries, tools, and processes
- An agile workflow of daily standups with fortnightly grooming, planning, and retrospective meetings
- PhD in a relevant field, or other evidence of research proficiency
- Strong understanding of reinforcement learning techniques and processes, and evidence of applying these
- Competent programming skills for prototyping
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Genuine passion for AI and driving cutting-edge research to real-world control systems
- Enjoy working as part of a fast-moving, collaborative team
While not necessary, the following experience would substantially strengthen any application:
- Experience relevant to traffic signal control or road traffic simulation
- Experience with timeseries data processing and analysis
- Experience with multi-agent systems
Vivacity welcomes applications from all candidates and embraces diversity within our teams. If you are in any doubt as to whether you would be a good fit, please get in touch, or apply anyway and we will get back to you. We look forward to hearing from you!