Enterprise cloud software for life sciences
At Veeva, we build enterprise cloud technology that powers the biggest names in the pharmaceutical, biotech, consumer goods, chemical & cosmetics industries. Our customers make vaccines, life-saving medicines, and life-enhancing products that make a difference in everyday lives. Our technology has transformed these industries; enabling them to get critical products and services to market faster. Our core values, Do the Right Thing, Customer Success, Employee Success, and Speed, guide us as we make our customers more efficient and effective in everything they do.
Veeva’s Commercial Legal Team is looking for an experienced commercial attorney to be part of our highly motivated, tightly-knit, and collaborative legal team. You will lead legal negotiations with our customers, efficiently bringing deals to a favorable close. We are looking for a high performer who has exceptional communication skills and is adaptable, team-oriented, loves to learn, and operates with a high degree of integrity.
This role is located in the western half of the U.S. (Mountain or Pacific time zone) and will report to the Senior Managing Counsel, U.S. Commercial.
What You'll Do
- Autonomously draft and negotiate agreements, including SaaS subscription agreements, data privacy agreements, and NDAs, with a wide variety of customers. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements
- Autonomously draft and negotiate all types of vendor and alliance agreements
- Coordinate with internal and external subject matter experts, including external counsel, when needed
- Respond to inquiries regarding contract interpretation and compliance
- Assist with other corporate initiatives as required (e.g., M&A, litigation, employment matters)
- Support the continuous improvement of internal processes
- Establish and build good working relationships with internal clients, based on mutual trust and respect, as well as knowledge of the company’s business, needs, and goals.
- Experience with different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., SaaS, strategic alliance, IP licensing, software licensing, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.)
- A confident, effective, and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close
- Strong aptitude towards drafting documents, emails, and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. Attention to detail is a must
- Ability to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also able to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed
- Skilled at working cross-functionally and collaboratively with different departments
- Licensed attorney. Active status in a U.S. state bar (ideally where the position is located)
- Minimum 6 years of experience in a reputable law firm and/or in-house
- Strong academic background, including J.D. from a top U.S. law school.
Nice to Have
- Experience working in-house at a technology company, software company, or pharmaceutical company
- Previous experience negotiating SaaS agreements
- Familiarity with data privacy, including GDPR, and information security.
Veeva Systems at a glance
Veeva Systems focuses on Biotechnology, Enterprise Software, Pharmaceuticals, CRM, and Cloud Management. Their company has offices in New York City, Boston, Columbus, Toronto, and Barcelona. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees.