Enterprise cloud software for life sciences
Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Pleasanton Hub
Our engineering and product teams are organized around our hubs for community and collaboration. Work anywhere means you can work at home or the office on any given day. Your product hub is based on the primary location of your product. You should live within one timezone of your product hub. Our current product hubs are Pleasanton, Columbus, Boston, NYC, Raleigh, and Toronto.
Sr. Software Engineers that work in Site Reliability at Veeva are innately curious and have a penchant for problem-solving. The scale in which you will be working supports hundreds of customers across 150 points of delivery, equating to anywhere between 2,000 servers daily. Experience in enterprise software development and Java stack will make you successful in this role. You bring a unique engineering perspective to development as the expert in how all of the related systems and applications come together in production. You know what will work at scale.
What You'll Do
- Ensure our platform meets the scalability and reliability needs of our customers.
- During an incident, lead the effort to triage and mitigate. You might need to perform periodic on-call duty if issues are escalated.
- Strategize with engineering teams on complex problems. You know how to support a system that is used by almost 1M+ users and can help dev teams make decisions based on recommendations of what will work in production before it ships.
- Participate in engineering design reviews of new features. Drive focused initiatives that improve operational efficiency and scalability of the platform.
- You want to make the system better every day and are self-driven to learn all that is necessary to provide full-stack diagnostics and determine the root cause of internal problems.
- Build tools and automation that eliminate work and reduce the time it takes to resolve an issue.
- Manage real-time communications during outages with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Communicate effectively with engineering teams, and describe problems succinctly with sufficient detail that you can hand off an ongoing problem to another team or a peer for completion.
- Experience working with and building Java/J2EE applications
- 5+ years of experience operating and scaling services in a distributed, internet-scale environment
- Proven track record of being an independent self-starter
- Strong knowledge of Linux operating systems and environment
- Strong knowledge of Networking, Load balancers, DNS, and TCP/IP
- Experience with RDBMS, such as MySQL, Oracle, or MS SQL Server
- Demonstrated history of incident management and leadership ability
- Experience in handling production outages and root cause analysis
- Hands-on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Effective communication skills across all levels -- whether talking to individual contributors or executives
- Solid scripting skills; experience with Shell, Bash, Ansible, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.
- Ability to handle periodic, on-call duty
Perks & Benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Allocations for continuous learning & development
- Annual budget to donate to the non-profit of your choice
Veeva Systems at a glance
Veeva Systems focuses on Biotechnology, Enterprise Software, Pharmaceuticals, CRM, and Cloud Management. Their company has offices in New York City, Boston, Columbus, Toronto, and Barcelona. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees.