Get effective tutoring in all subjects and test prep from an award winning company
Senior Software Engineer
Overview of Position
We are looking for talented Senior Software Engineers to join our fast growing team! Varsity Tutors is revolutionizing how people learn with new and innovative technology, and offers a full suite of learning products that are personalized to the needs of every learner. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. We recently launched Varsity Tutors closed a $50M Series C funding round in 2018, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV, which will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time. Come join our fast growing team!
We're a DevOps shop where we take pride in the quality of our code, our processes, and our services. We have a complete CI/CD software lifecycle and an evolving services oriented architecture hosted in AWS. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, you would not just write code, but you actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and creative solutions. We encourage creativity and finding innovative ways to deploy cutting edge technology and foster a culture of teamwork, experimentation and growth. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
- 5+ years coding experience
- 3+ years experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Erlang or Scala
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django) preferred
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Highly motivated to learn new things
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Remote Position, fully work from home (or wherever you like!)
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- Paid VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)
Varsity Tutors helps its employees and their families by providing various plan choices and options for medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
We understand the value of a proper work/life balance for our employees and their families. We offer paid PTO and holidays (including your bday or floating holiday!), as well as paid maternity and paternity leave.
Varsity Tutors promotes the ongoing growth and development of its employees. We offer 52 hours of one on one tutoring each year for employees or their families. We also have our Flagship Program that trains and develops future leaders.
Company-wide fitness challenges, National Smores Day, trivia nights, happy hours, ping pong tournaments, and life-size foosball games, just to name a few. We work hard, we play hard. :)
Varsity Tutors at a glance
Varsity Tutors focuses on Mobile, Internet, E-Commerce, Education, and Video Chat. Their company has offices in Chicago, Seattle, Tempe, Victoria, and St. Louis. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Varsity Tutors has raised $157M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2018.
You can view their website at http://www.varsitytutors.com