A new way to bank for everyone, easily accessible via a mobile app
Senior Software Engineer$120k – $180k • 0.01% – 1.0%
Varo is on a mission to empower hard-working Americans to achieve greater financial resilience; arming them with the products and support they need to create healthy financial habits and reduce financial stress. Through its mobile app, Varo offers customers premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, and solutions to build, repair, and access credit. Varo’s state of the art technology provides tech-first features to help people achieve their financial goals and manage their money more easily.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: Varo is the first fintech to be granted preliminary approval for a de novo national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), the first to receive approval from the FDIC for federal deposit insurance, and is weeks away from opening the first mobile-centric national bank in U.S. history. Our unique team combines the best of tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about keeping our customers happy by helping them manage and grow their money. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held Varo has raised over $400M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund / TPG Growth, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, Progressive Insurance, and iHeartMedia.
ABOUT THE ENGINEERING TEAM
The Engineering Team at Varo is small but is growing rapidly. Over the next year we need to build an entire bank from scratch, so if you are looking for growth join us. Our goal is to repair the stale banking industry and build products that help improve the financial wellbeing of our customers. You will get to work with new technology stacks, be part of a great and diverse workplace, and improve the financial lives of others. In our Engineering team we value personal growth, initiative and ownership, collaboration, and the importance of thinking like an engineer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design, build and evolve the core backend infrastructure of the Varo platform
- Build highly scalable system software using primarily Java and Kotlin
- Write well-designed, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering and product teams
- Participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and distribute knowledge
- Help lead large projects from idea to positive execution
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES THAT’LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- 5+ years experience in Java software development
- Deep understanding of microservices and event driven architectures
- Experience in building public and internal APIs
- Deep understanding of the software security practices
- Experience with transactional databases and caching systems
- Experience in unit and integration testing
- Experience with scalable, distributed systems using event-driven architecture
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- Experience with financial systems (banking, lending, payments)
- You love making complicated things, very simple
- You can work across teams in our rapidly growing company and drive standardization
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
- Java, Kotlin
- Spring, Spring Boot and Hibernate.
- AWS - EKS, S3, SNS, SQS, KMS
- PostgreSQL, Kafka, Airflow, Kubernetes, Istio
- Maven, Jenkins, Git, Jira, Confluence
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/varomoney/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varomoney
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information. Varo takes this matter seriously, and is working closely with the appropriate authorities to effectively address the issue.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We hope to hear you say, "I'm in!"
Varo Money at a glance
Varo Money focuses on Service Industries, Apps, Banking, Finance Technology, and Consumer. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Draper. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Varo Money has raised $72M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2018.