Variant Bio is a Seattle-based startup developing therapies that will improve global health by studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits. Our team has expertise spanning genetics, molecular biology, therapeutics, anthropology, and ethics. We started Variant Bio because we believe that human genomics has the power to transform drug development. We co-design our studies with our local partners: community groups, academics, healthcare professionals, hospitals, and biobanks around the world. Most importantly, we built Variant Bio from the ground up with ethics at its foundation. We are committed to working in a way that respects the privacy, beliefs, cultures, and data of the populations we partner with. In addition, we recognize the contribution of our partners through benefit-sharing programs that support local healthcare, sustainable development, education, research, and capacity-building initiatives.
We are looking for a Seattle-based Population Geneticist who will significantly expand the scope and scale of our partnerships around the world.
Please email your CV and a cover letter highlighting your background and skills to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “RE: Population Geneticist.”
- Work closely with biological anthropologists to identify populations around the world with histories that drive unique genetic architectures and phenotypes.
- Identify and set up collaborations around the world on human subject studies.
- Supervise local genotyping and phenotyping campaigns.
- Analyze genetic data to understand population history and structure.
- Effectively communicate scientific results to local researchers, community members, and at scientific conferences.
- Ph.D. in genetics, evolutionary biology, or statistics, having done research on population genetics, statistical genetics, or a related field with a relevant dissertation.
- Strong hands-on population genetics experience, including analyzing genomic datasets from humans or other species, inferring patterns of population structure and demographic history, estimating patterns of relatedness and/or detecting loci under selection.
- Strong conceptual background in the principles of population and statistical genetics.
- Experience designing and managing human subject studies outside of North America and Europe.
- Independent, creative, detail-orientated, and a critical thinker.
- Compelled by the company’s mission of great science, a strong ethical stance, and benefit sharing.
- Computational proficiency, including fluency in bash, R, and Python and/or other scripting languages (preferred).
- Comprehensive benefits.
- An opportunity to build and lead a team at an early-stage startup entering a rapid growth phase.
- Worldwide travel (once possible).
- Great location (Alexandria LaunchLabs, Seattle).