India's largest free learning platform
Principal Engineer - Search
At Unacademy, we’re reimagining quality education for all.
It’s an audacious, incredibly steep & fulfilling mission that our team is dedicated to achieving. Unacademy helps more than 15 million students to get access to top quality education. We enable them to achieve their goals and get ahead in life. India being home to 19% of the world’s youth population, we believe we’ve only just begun. And we’d like your help.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. If that sounds like you, come join us on this journey as we democratise education for all.
Here’s the elevator pitch:
- 15 million students learning currently on the platform to achieve their academic goals across 40 exam categories
- 2,35,000 paid subscribers. $ 140 Million ARR and growing at an unprecedented rate
- 1.3B Minutes of watch time in July
- 1,60,000 Live Classes conducted in July 2020 with concurrent learners exceeding 55,000
- A rapidly growing team of 100 members in tech + product with some of the finest folks in the industry
- An opportunity to craft products that influence education at the grassroots level to improve the lives of millions of students in the far-flung corners of India!
What you’ll do :
- Own the charter for search, discovery, & recommendation systems.
- Leverage Unacademy’s rich data to develop data products that offer better search relevance & personalisation
- Partner with a strong team of engineers and product managers in defining the frontier of data products.
- Communicate insights/recommendations to a wide spectrum of
stakeholders across the company.
- Decode learning contexts to build novel algorithms and experiments to improve search ranking and CTR
We Prefer :
- 6+ years industry experience developing search systems at scale from inception to business impact.
- Deep understanding of modern search systems such as ElasticSearch or Solr
- Proven ability to tailor search systems to business problems in a cross-functional team.
- Ability to act as a Product Manager for Search and figure out the next set of improvements to make
- Strong programming skills
- Experience creating personalized relevance algorithms is a plus.
Life @ Unacademy:
Our mantra of "Learning as a way of life" is not limited to our student users, but extends to our team as well. We drive this with a special allowance for books & an internal library of courses, created by and for Unacademians themselves.
We celebrate our teams’ hard work with company wide offsites, twice a year, to rejuvenate & recharge. We take care of our people with wellness programs (In-house mental health counsellor, meditation & fitness sessions), fully stocked pantry, game zone, and a top-notch medical plan that covers employees + dependents.
Unacademy at a glance
Unacademy focuses on Mobile and Education. Their company has offices in Bengaluru. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Unacademy has raised $500K of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2016.