A largest global marketplace for teaching and learning online
Senior Staff Data Scientist (Decision Science - Udemy for Business)
JOB DESCRIPTIONIn this role you will be working on data problems that inform key business decisions for the Udemy for Business team (UFB), Udemy's enterprise offering. We’re helping companies like PayPal, Lyft, Booking.com, Capgemini, and Century 21 to solve the critical skills gap that teams increasingly face, whether it’s the latest technical skills, marketing & sales, leadership soft skills, and more. You will face questions like what courses should be included in UFB's catalog, how can we measure the likelihood of a partner company to renew and what factors of a course are most likely to drive engagement. While this role will primarily partner with the UFB team, you will be a part of a highly collaborative centralized Analytics team with opportunities to work with and influence all of Udemy.
UFB is considered "the startup within the startup" so the need to be scrappy and work with incomplete information will be key. You will turn ambiguous problems into precise questions, work across their internal teams to extract the relevant data, and communicate results in a clear and effective way. You will be attentive to validating your approach and delivering results that are both actionable and reliable. And as a senior decision scientist, you will also be responsible for mentoring and developing less experienced analysts.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Support the UFB team with business analytics and insights that will drive action
- Collaborate with stakeholders across Udemy to answer key business questions and find untapped opportunities
- Act as a mentor and coach to less experienced team members
- Conduct exploratory analyses with methodologies ranging from data mining and visualization to more sophisticated statistical modeling techniques
- Build SQL tables, metrics, and dashboards to track the health of the UFB business.
- Communicate clearly and effectively to stakeholders with varying business and technical backgrounds
- Fill gaps by automating, programming, etc. to make sure the UFB team has the information necessary to make quick decisions
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 6+ years of experience in business analytics or data science at a fast-paced company; B2B background is ideal
- Solid statistical foundation, experienced with common statistical analysis techniques as well as advanced concepts such as predictive analytics
- Ability to work with engineering to make sure the right infrastructure is in place
- Skilled at extracting, manipulating, and analyzing large data sets using SQL and a statistical language such as R or Python
- Structured thinking and the ability to decompose ambiguous questions into discrete data problems
- Self-starter mentality, a strong sense of ownership, and an insatiable appetite for learning
Udemy at a glance
Udemy focuses on Digital Media, Education, and Marketplaces. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Denver, Gurgaon, Dublin, and São Paulo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Udemy has raised $223M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020 at a valuation of $2B.