A largest global marketplace for teaching and learning online
Data Scientist - Assessment
ABOUT THE ROLE:As Udemy looks toward the future of online education, assessments lie at the heart of promoting learner progression and growth. Udemy is building a new group focused on skill assessment technologies. Toward this end, we are looking for a data scientist with strong statistical modeling skills, hands-on experience with empirical research methods in the social sciences, and a track record of shipping product features powered by machine learning.
ABOUT YOU:As a data scientist at Udemy, you’ll be partnering with product managers, designers, and engineers to build algorithmic and model-driven solutions to power adaptive skill assessments. Success in this role will require a combination of product intuition, applied research instincts, and the data science and coding chops to dive headfirst into development on production systems.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with PMs, designers, and engineers to scope and build an adaptive skill assessment platform
- Critically evaluate the state-of-the-art research literature in educational assessment
- Develop production-grade data pipelines
- Develop psychometric models for skill assessment through all phases including prototyping, productionization, and experimental evaluation
- Conduct statistical analysis to assess the reliability and validity of skill assessments
- Collaborate with content developers and instructional designers to develop and refine item writing and review processes
- Build Udemy’s technical brand through talks, blog posts, and publications
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 3+ years of hands-on industry experience in a data science-oriented role
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and machine learning
- Domain experience in educational assessment and psychometrics (e.g., Classical Test Theory (CTT), Item Response Theory (IRT), Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT), equating and scaling)
- Familiarity with standard software engineering practices (e.g., Scrum)
- Proficiency with 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
Great if you have but not required:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience using big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark)
Udemy at a glance
Udemy focuses on Digital Media, Education, and Marketplaces. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Denver, Gurgaon, Dublin, and São Paulo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Udemy has raised $223M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2020 at a valuation of $2M.