A largest global marketplace for teaching and learning online
Senior Data Scientist - Insights
ABOUT THE ROLE:Data Scientists in our Insights track draw on a combination of quantitative methods and business intuition to find actionable insights that drive key business decisions at Udemy, answering questions such as:
What metrics should business areas be monitoring and goaling against? What are potential causes for changes in customer behavior? What are the bottlenecks in our conversion funnels? What issues do instructors face in the course creation process? How should we think about segmenting our user base?
Data Scientists in our Insights track perform several highly critical functions:
- Serve as subject matter experts in their embedded business area (e.g. Product, Marketing, Udemy for Business, Executive Leadership…) when working with Data Scientists in our Inference and Algorithms tracks
- Identify, scope, and execute on data-driven analyses to help guide business decisions
- Act as data evangelist to create a data-driven culture across the company
Success in this role requires a combination of business intuition, broad knowledge of statistical methods, practical data analysis experience, and strong communication and collaboration skills.
Note: Insights is one of three Data Scientist tracks at Udemy (Insights, Inference, and Algorithms). Please refer to those job descriptions for additional context and only apply to one of the three roles.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to inform business direction
- Proactively influence prioritization through data-driven insights
- Provide technical mentorship to others
- Design and analyze standard experiments and conduct ad hoc analyses
- Define metrics and build dashboards to track product and business health
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of data
- Knowledge and willingness to use the right tool (a scripted model, a dashboard, a presentation) for each analysis
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a combination of business/analytics roles (e.g. data science/analytics, management consulting, or business operations)
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong business intuition and judgement
- Expert level data storytelling and data visualization ability
- Broad knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and causal inference
- Expert SQL ability and proficiency with 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Chartio, or Tableau)
Udemy at a glance
Udemy focuses on Digital Media, Education, and Marketplaces. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Denver, Gurgaon, Dublin, and São Paulo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Udemy has raised $223M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020 at a valuation of $2B.