Personalized communication that lets you connect with customers over a single API
Principal Machine Learning Engineer (L5)
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeks a key leader in defining data science and insights for the Risk Platform Engineering team in Bengaluru, India. As a key member of the team, you will be joining one of the first teams in our new Bangalore office, with an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. A successful candidate will innovate. Embody a growth approach, collaborate effectively, mentor engineers, tackle business problems, and operate highly resilient distributed and scalable services.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a proven track record of shipping data pipelines and models that achieves business goals.
- A Masters degree in Computer Science and/or Statistics.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience in machine learning and data engineering
- You partner with other leads from engineering, product and design to build a roadmap and measures of success.
- Experience working with Machine Learning engineers and have knowledge of modeling and inference techniques
- Proficient in deep learning frameworks, such as PyTorch/TensorFlow and Keras.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools such as matplotlib, seaborn and/or ggplot.
- Experience developing data pipelines and providing insights with metrics computation and business intelligence
- Experience developing RESTful services, streaming applications using Kafka, Spark.
- Hands-on experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and caches.
- Strong expertise in solving complex production issues.
- Plus: Experience developing products on AWS or Google Cloud Services.
- Proficiency with Scala.
As a Principal Machine learning engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Understand the product roadmap and provide proactive, meaningful insight & identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them to the team. Build example applications that demonstrate effective use of platform APIs.
- BE AN OWNER: Understand software components from multiple partner teams, own the integration of those components into the unified product code base, and drive their continued development. Own, operate, deploy and maintain models and services in the cloud.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Serves as an enabler for the team through collaboration and technical solutions. Build trust on the team, so they feel comfortable coming to you and involving you in architectural decisions.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and proven track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work closely with the Fraud Operations team and the Data Analytics team to identify and understand the constantly evolving landscape of fraud vectors and then take action to keep up with new forms of fraud.
- DON’T SETTLE: Experienced working at an extensive scale with distributed, scalable systems, including making tradeoffs for consistency/availability.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
- Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. We want your help in solving various problems to detect fraud/compute customer trust score in near real time. Business problems that need to be solved include phishing on both email and messaging platforms, risk based authentication, account takeover detection, clustering to name a few.
- Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
- This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio at a glance
Twilio focuses on Mobile, Internet, Enterprise Software, Telephony, and Messaging. Their company has offices in San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, London, and Mountain View. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Twilio has raised $363.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2018.