Personalized communication that lets you connect with customers over a single API
DevOps Engineer III
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a DevOps Engineer to be a part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate services that continuously improve our ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging great technology like Kubernetes, Rook, ClusterAPI, Metal³, and MetalLB, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.
Building a platform requires people from a variety of engineering backgrounds. Twilio is looking for DevOps Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has:
- 5+ years of experience in your craft with demonstrated skill progression (for example: Kubernetes, storage automation, Linux, networking, security)
- Previous exposure to DevOps or SRE methodologies
- Experience with Linux & containerization technologies required, with demonstrated ability to troubleshoot issues
- Experience deploying and running HA, scalable, production infrastructure required
- Knowledge of at least two mainstream coding languages (Golang is a plus)
- Understanding of Kubernetes or other container orchestration platforms (previous experience a plus)
- Understanding of public cloud providers (previous experience a plus)
- Experience with on-prem provisioning technologies like PXE and OpenStack a plus
- Degree in Computer Science or similar experience
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Highly effective collaboration skills - you work with your team towards common goals
- A healthy ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Self drive - you take complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
As DevOps Engineer, you will you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE INCLUSIVE, EMPOWER OTHERS*:* Work in a small, high-impact, diverse team.
- DRAW THE OWL*:* Collaborate with the team to tackle complex problems in distributed computing
- BE AN OWNER*:* Build and operate your team's services in a distributed production environment in the DevOps model; Ensure quality by writing unit, integration, and load tests.
- DON’T SETTLE, RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE*:* Constantly look for areas of improvement in processes, system and optimize. Be an advocate for balancing tech debt and feature development
- Promote passionate DevOps culture that is driving massively scalable, highly reliable, resilient services in a fast growing customer and engineering focused company
- Help resolve technical issues/blockers as a developer on the team
- Perform thorough and thoughtful code reviews to help maintain high standard of code quality
- Work with teams across the company to troubleshoot/determine resolution for complex issues
- Develop tools and automation which eliminate manual activities, increase stability, and improve visibility
- Craft clear and concise documentation
- Mentor junior engineers to drive/grow processes for engineering excellency
- Develop monitoring, telemetry, and diagnostics to early-detect and minimize quality of service impacting events
- Be creative, take your own initiative and solve some of our most challenging problems
The Operations Engineering team is central to Twilio Sendgrid’s container orchestration platform (Kubernetes) and its continued evolution. We work with Engineering Leadership and Architects to build, deploy, and release new features integral to our businesses’ plans for increased revenue, platform reliability, and excellent customer service. When engineers go fast, the company goes fast.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California Street Suite 500 Denver, CO 80202. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio at a glance
Twilio focuses on Mobile, Internet, Enterprise Software, Telephony, and Messaging. Their company has offices in San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, London, and Mountain View. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Twilio has raised $363.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2018.