Access new investigative treatments or clinical trials at no cost to you or your health insurance
Head of Business Development
The biggest bottleneck in bringing new treatments to patients is the clinical trial. On average, getting a drug through the trial process takes nearly a decade and frequently costs $1B+. And the problem is only getting worse.
TrialSpark is a technology company that brings new medical treatments to patients faster. We’re reimagining the clinical trial by introducing a new model, using technology to streamline every aspect of the trial. To fulfill our mission, we partner with pharma, biotech, and digital health companies to run studies faster and more efficiently.
About the position
The Head of Business Development is tasked with accelerating our mission by creating strategic partnerships that can leverage TrialSpark’s unique CRO and development capabilities. This may include the creation of drug development partnerships, JVs and completion of out-licensing deals with funding partners, including Aditum Bio.
You will identify, originate and pursue business opportunities, and collaborate with the Operations, Medical and Finance teams in drafting proposals, bid decisions and project management of larger strategic partnerships.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Creating and originating new business development opportunities that leverage our CRO, clinical trials, and drug development capabilities.
- Sourcing assets: this includes identifying and originating drug assets from pharma companies that are off-strategy or do not have the peak sales potential to develop internally. Sourcing will also occur from platform companies in biotech, or academia.
- Leading the due diligence process: this includes managing the modelling of CRO revenue opportunity and timing, as key input to financial models, as well as coordinating overall due diligence across functions.
- Negotiating and closing transactions: this will include developing terms and conditions of the drug purchase/out-licensing, as well as the economic and governance terms of the NewCo and the drug development plan.
- Securing financing for assets.
- Other responsibilities include driving to successful and timely closure of deals and a smooth transition of the new asset to the NewCo management team so the development plan can be executed.
- Manage Partner Collaborations: manage the relationship with our external partners, interfacing with them in a way that projects the values of TrialSpark.
Required education and experience
- At least 7 years experience in BD&L in the pharmaceutical industry. Ideal candidate will have large pharma experience, as well as smaller biotech experience. Background in Biology or Medicine is an advantage. MBA preferred, but not required.
- Strong track record in sourcing, negotiating and closing transactions. Experience in exiting assets is important.
- Excellent negotiating skills: including deeply understanding the important points to the other side of the negotiation.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively internally and externally. Strong interpersonal skills is a key requirement.
- Results oriented and self-assured.
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We believe your personal life enriches your professional life. We provide 12 weeks of parental leave (plus a flexible return to work) so you can start or grow your family. Plus, you’ll get a cute TrialSpark onesie for your new addition.
We have a flexible PTO policy (so you don’t have to cut corners on your dream trip). If you’re under the weather, we actually want you to rest with take-it-as-you-need-it sick leave.
All the food
Reclaim all the time you spend meal planning — TrialSpark’s corporate Seamless account provides lunch three days a week and we enjoy a catered, family-style lunch on Fridays. We never skimp on snacks, so our kitchens are always stocked.
Dog friendly office
We...love dogs. Please bring yours to work.
We like to get outside the office from time to time. Count on frequent team outings that aren't your standard happy hour (think rock climbing, food tours). Plus, you can put your personal values into practice by joining our resource groups.
We set aside time each year to go OOO. Spend time at our annual offsite connecting with your colleagues from other offices. Whether you're into kayaking or karaoke, our workplace experience team plans a weekend with activities for everyone.
TrialSpark at a glance
TrialSpark focuses on Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals, Clinical Trials, and Science. Their company has offices in New York City and New York. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.