Cleaner, clearer, safer roads for everyone
Product Designer$100k – $140k • 0.0% – 0.25%
We’re building the world’s first Autonomous Traffic Management (ATM) platform - a single platform that plugs into connected vehicles and connected infrastructure to optimize city traffic. Our flagship product, Predictive Traffic Control (PTC), is the world’s first pure software solution for traffic signal control with proven capabilities to reduce rush hour travel times in major cities by up to 24%. We’re on a mission to eliminate congestion, improve traffic flow and give back time to everyone.
As our first Designer, you will have full ownership over all things Product Design at Flow Labs - establishing our design philosophy, our product vision and executing on it. Your work will be visible to millions of people each day including transportations engineers, governments and citizens. It will also positively impact the lives of millions: with better transportation, we will lower travel times by up to 24%, reduce emissions by up to 20%, and enable everyone to spend more time on the things that are most important to them, with the people who are most important to them.
Roles & Responsibilities:
We have a product that consists of both front-end analytics and machine learning and AI in the back-end.
Core responsibilities include:
- Designing web-based applications for our customers (80%+ of your role)
- Designing internal dashboards to monitor and measure system performance and track our machine learning models
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Work directly with customers and users, understanding their workflows, key problems and goals and design solutions which benefit them.
- Rapidly build prototypes, mock-ups and wireframes and test them with customers before working closely with our development team to execute on your vision.
- Work closely with the Product Owner/CEO and will be given responsibility to define the product roadmap for our front-end analytics products.
This is a high responsibility role in a small and ambitious early-stage company. We value entrepreneurial spirit, a get things done attitude and someone who is willing to stretch themselves for ambitious goals. If you cannot fulfill all design duties by yourself you will be responsible for bringing in and managing contractors to execute on that work.
- 3+ years of professional experience in design, and have shipped products from scratch.
- Strong expertise in information design and interaction design. Experience in designing analytics products.
- Get things done mentality
- Empathetic in interactions with internal and external partners
- Strong communication skills
- Expertise in geospatial information design
The Design Challenge:
- Core to our product is our ability to help people understand what is happening in a transportation network as well as how our signal control technology has made improvements to it. We are capturing vast amounts of data about transportation networks across the US, much of which has never been utilized in any meaningful way. We want to develop innovative and simple tools to enable transportation engineers, governments and citizens to engage with that data.
- We’re inspired by companies like Uber, ITO World, and Kepler who have pushed boundaries on innovative information designs for geospatial applications. We want to push the boundaries even further, set new standards for the industry as a whole and bring that information and insight to transportation engineers, governments and citizens.
- Central to our company is our focus on autonomous systems and our design philosophy should reflect this - this means a quick and seamless interactive experience, minimizing the amount of time spent in our platform but maximizing trust and information.
Our Interviewing Process:
- We’re small, move fast and believe in an efficient hiring process. We see this as an audition more than an interview. We expect you to work with us on a contract basis initially with a view to moving to full-time. You’re going to start off with a couple of well-defined projects, show us what you have got and if there is a strong fit we’ll move you quickly to a full-time role.
- Please send us through your resume, a sample of your portfolio and relevant work you’ve done. We’ll then do a video interview where we can share more about our company, and find out more about how you might be able to add to our company culture. We’ll then introduce you to our team, share scopes of the initial projects and if there is mutual interest we’ll move forward from there quickly.