Healthy and Affordable Preprepared Meals. Delivered
Who We Are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle’s mission is to empower our customers to get and stay healthy while improving the sustainability of our food system. We deliver delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices and snacks to customers on the West Coast who want to put their nutrition on auto-pilot.
We don’t want to be just another food delivery startup. Our focus is on the health and happiness of our customers, and we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale.
Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco and have raised capital from the best investors in the industry, including PowerPlant Ventures - a leading investor in the plant-based space.
Thistle is looking for a Purchasing Manager to join our Procurement team and report directly to our Senior Procurement Manager. This role will ultimately be based in our brand new Vacaville Production Center, however will onboard and temporarily be based out of our Berkeley facility. We are looking for someone who can help scale our Order Management strategy, including everything from selecting the best quality suppliers to optimizing our inventory management system so that Thistle can continue to grow. You will be joining a strong team at an exciting time in Thistle’s story.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and lead strategies for ordering, supplier qualification and selection processes, negotiation, and the fundamentals of ordering execution
- Play a crucial role in Order Management, prioritizing workload and improving efficiencies to meet the demands of the Order process
- Manage the ordering and inventory handling process of top food categories (Protein, Produce, Speciality Foods) plus related materials (packaging, food prep supplies, equipment)
- Evaluate suppliers and lead vendor KPI management to achieve cost-effective deals and maintain trust relationships
- Design and manage inventory management systems meeting facility needs ensuring adequate inventory levels are maintained to maximize customer satisfaction and minimize cost
- Lead strategic sourcing management goals of the company and implement action items to ensure that those goals are achieved
- Manage daily cross-functional collaboration with production operations, kitchen team, facilities, and procurement
- Follow well-defined procedures as outlined by Best Practices, SOP’s & work instructions and take direction from the head of the department regarding daily duties
- Manage and mentor inventory team encouraging professional growth & development
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelors Degree with 3+ years of experience in procurement, supply chain management or related field.
- Culinary knowledge and experience with high-volume fresh food production preferred
- Background in ordering and physical Inventory maintenance/control
- Detail-orientation and good analytical skills
- Ability to communicate at different levels
- Good problem-solving as well as organizational skills
- Ability to both work effectively in a team and independently
- Attention to detail, and willingness to re-prioritize according to production flow
- Ability to take initiative, stay organized, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
Life at Thistle:
- Join a diverse, passionate & driven team of all backgrounds
- Delicious & nutritious meals, snacks & juice to help keep you feeling healthy and energized
- Casual work environment
- Fun team outings (fitness classes, BBQs, happy hours, and more)
- Comprehensive health benefits to fit your needs
- Flexible vacation & sick policy
- Competitive salary & equity package
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Peace of mind
We offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans as well as commuter benefits to make your life easier.
Employees get discounts on Thistle meals, juices, and snacks. And of course Thistle for breakfast and lunch!
We’ve invested in building a diverse and vibrant workplace. Company outings, workouts, and happy hours happen every month!
Thistle is a company dedicated to our mission. Find your passion at Thistle while working alongside others on the same journey.
Thistle at a glance
Thistle focuses on Healthcare, Retail, Food and Beverages, Health and Wellness, and Subscription Businesses. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Francisco Bay Area. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Thistle has raised $6.65M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.