The online marketplace for news articles and top freelance journalists
Tech Lead€0k – €48k • 2.0% – 7.0%
With our AI-driven matching algorithm, we select out of millions of news stories around the globe the ones that fit a specific publication or identify the best journalist to hire for a gig. The Story Market (www.thestorymarket.co) is an international online marketplace for journalists and content. Editors of media companies and brands can easily license articles via our platform, get them translated, or commission a story to one of our freelance correspondents.
The Story Market was founded by Lena Späth (www.linkedin.com/in/lenaspath) and Doris Wiedemann (www.linkedin.com/in/doris-wiedemann-54a2b) and has been supported by MediaLab Bayern, IBM and is currently a member of Grow F.
As a young start-up, we recently closed our first funding round and are now looking for a full-time
About The Role
Do you want to help define what technology & data means at The Story Market? As our Tech Lead, you'll be instrumental in setting what our tech and data strategy looks like as we grow the business, and then doing the hands-on work to execute against it. There will be significant variation from one day to the next. Still, whether you're exploring what a successful story prediction looks like, building out our proprietary marketplace, or creating a model to deliver leads to the sales team, you'll be having an impact on the direction of the business.
Who You Are
- You understand how parts of a system fit together—from the user interface to the data model, and have built them yourself
- You have experience in machine learning and data science (NLP and text mining expertise is a plus)
- You follow current tech trends and understand the algorithms of Google and co
- You may be opinionated about programming languages, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go
- You are interested in the future of media and journalism or have even experience in the industry (text is our "bread and butter")
- You have supervised interns, working students, or even lead a team
- You are a goal-getter, an ace in prioritizing and getting things done
- You think outside the box, like challenges, and don't stick to problems but look for solutions
- You communicate your ideas and work clearly and transparently, whether you're explaining technical decisions to your team or non-technical people
- You are fluent in English and internationally-minded - we speak English, German, Persian, Dutch, Hindi, Spanish :)
What You'll Do
- Build the first proprietary version of our marketplace to sell stories and hire journalists (choose your framework!)
- Set up our data science unit to recommend newspapers the content that matches their needs (psst it's tricky, news are not just a pair of white shoes)
- Create internal tools that support other teams and our business needs
- Expand our effort on providing data-science-as-a-service to publications (better stories for everyone across the globe!)
- Lead a small team of internal and external developers and data scientists, nurture it and grow it
- Build The Story Market as a company together with the founders
- Shape the vision of Tech in journalism and show the world what is possible
What We Offer
- A fast-growing company with vast responsibilities to take over (you would be one of our first employees!)
- Founders that put people first and do things differently
- An industry that is ready for disruption
- Smart minds who move fast and think global
- Flexible working hours and workplace
- A combination of income and shares depending on your situation
We're located in Munich but up to building a company with employees all over the world. So having your home base in Munich is not required, but you will have to travel to the office from time to time, especially in the beginning.
If you're interested, write to our founder Lena Späth at email@example.com. We will be happy to meet you soon, live or in our virtual conference room!
Meet your team
The Story Market at a glance
The Story Market focuses on Machine Learning, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, News, and Journalism. Their company has offices in Munich. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees.