Data Science for Marketplace Lending
Senior Research Tools Developer / Scientific Programmer$150k – $230k • 0.1% – 0.4%
An innovative investment fund with over $600M assets under management, we combine quantitative research, software engineering and rigorous scientific investigation to build credit portfolios that produce strong and consistent yields across business cycles.
We are seeking an expert Research Tools Developer / Scientific Programmer to join our growing team of researchers and software engineers. The primary responsibility will be to collaborate with our highly technical researchers to create software tools to facilitate research. Most of our research and analytical code is in python and we make heavy use of numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, pandas, and other open source python data analysis packages.
What You'll do:
- Implement and maintain key scientific components of our production code base
- Be responsible for accelerating Theorem research workflow, including optimization and parallelizing model training and validation
- Contribute to our software engineering culture of writing correct, maintainable, elegant and testable code
- Represent Theorem as part of the open source community, which may include contributing non-proprietary code to open source projects
What you bring to the table:
- Professional experience writing performant scientific, numerical and parallel code in a data driven research environment
- Experience maintaining and contributing to a large scientific code base
- Keen desire to use the tools you may have developed as part of the open source community
- Experience writing and optimizing code in a vectorized scripting language such as numpy or similar
- Deep understanding of the open source scientific Python ecosystem
- Experience speeding up analytical code using Cython, Numba, C or similar languages
- Experience in performance profiling and characterization (and, no, we are not a high frequency trading firm)
- Understanding how hardware affects performance of numerical code and how to optimize things like cache locality and cpu core count vs clock speed
- An HPC background is appreciated and relevant, but not necessary
- Founded in 2014 by a Google software engineer and a Morgan Stanley quant trader, we are backed by some great investors, including Y Combinator and Two Sigma Ventures
- We are profitable, managing over $600mm, including investment from non-profits and university endowments
- We are a small, passionate, and collaborative team -- fewer than 20 research, engineering and finance and operations professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas
- Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business
- We deeply value intellectual curiosity, creative idea generation, and close collaboration
- We seek talented individuals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious and interested in a mission-focused team environment
- We share ideas informally at team lunches, academic paper discussions, and through our bi-weekly All-Hands meetings
- Company events are inclusive and fun, with expeditions to food trucks and michelin-starred local restaurants, and annual trips to Montana and Stinson Beach featuring hiking and cooking
- We are located in SoMa in San Francisco, a vigorous 12-minute walk from BART and CalTrain
- We offer competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment
We invite you to apply if you’re interested in working with collaborative, respectful, earnestly-geeky individuals who delight in solving hard problems together.
And yes, Theorem is an equal opportunity employer and we provide work authorization sponsorship.
Covered medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
Paid maternity and paternity leave.
Competitive salary, bonuses, and equity.
Unlimited vacation days
Paid team offsites and catered meals.
Theorem LP at a glance
Theorem LP focuses on Financial Services, Machine Learning, Finance, Software Engineering, and Fin Tech. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Theorem LP has raised $2.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2014.
You can view their website at http://www.theoremlp.com