Mechanical Engineer (Vehicles)
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
The Vehicles team creates new and innovative methods of transportation that will be used by the public to travel through The Boring Company's network of tunnels.
As a Mechanical Engineer working on Vehicles, you will spearhead the design of numerous structures, sub systems, and components. You will own hardware through the product life cycle (design, analysis, build, and test) and will interact regularly with the team during critical design phases. You are well-versed in component design and analysis and employ a ground-up, fundamental physics approach to problem solving. You have strong technical and interpersonal skills and you thrive in a creative, scrappy, and collaborative environment in which the best ideas change company-level direction on a regular basis.
- Design various systems and sub-systems related to operations such as boring machine parts, support systems, support system equipment, tunnel segment production, passenger/construction vehicles and tunnel infrastructure.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Adhere to the project schedule and ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependant systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 1+ years of experience in design, build and testing.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Proficiency using SolidWorks.
- Basic proficiency in machine design.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Experience in creating manufacturing drawings.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary.