Techstars is the Worldwide Network that helps entrepreneurs succeed
Operations Associate - Techstars Iowa
Techstars operates 50+ Accelerator programs around the globe annually and recently launched a new program right here in Iowa. We’re looking for an Operations Associate to join our team and work side-by-side with the Program Manager to lead a successful first year program. In this role you’ll be responsible for the administrative duties and operational execution throughout the duration of the program from leading logistics for the program content and event planning to interfacing with founders, mentors, and investors of the program.
As an Associate you will help build the next amazing batch of startups, as they grow from early stage to venture-backed companies. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode! You will have the opportunity to sit in on mentor meetings – get to know the best entrepreneurs and investors in the city, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local community. This is an opportunity to get amazing career experience and substantially broaden your network. Historically, most associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage with Techstars founders, mentors, and investors to plan meetings and events that drive the program toward success.
- Coordinate the scheduling of mentors, corporate partners, founders, and sponsors visits.
- Follow best practices and execute upon outlined content and curriculum of the program.
- Event planning.
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively.
- Adhere to Techstars best practices.
- Other work as required related to program operations, Techstars events, and/or as assigned by Program Staff.
- 1-3 years in fast-paced project or program management focused position.
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital.
- Proven attention to detail in fast-paced environment.
- Experience in event planning and event logistics highly preferred.
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities that change often.
- A willingness to learn and comfortable with tackling new problems is a must!
- A drive to get better every single day and are always looking for opportunities to learn.
- A positive outlook, desire to learn and meet new people, lots of energy and enthusiasm.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations.
- Fits the Techstars culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative).
- Authorized to work as a contractor in the United States through the end of 2020.
- Currently live in Des Moines, IA area - or willing to live here for the duration of the program.
- Willingness to commit to the equivalent of a full time position for a three month time period (Sept. - Dec.) working days, evenings, and sometimes weekends - schedule is flexible but a strong commitment is expected.
- This is a temporary position, beginning in September and running through the second week of December and will pay a stipend
- Dirk Lehmann - Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Kelly McDonald - Learn More Faster
- Duc Luan Dam - Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is the global platform for investment and innovation. We connect entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and cities to create a more sustainable and inclusive world. Through the Techstars Worldwide Entrepreneur Network, founders and their teams connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporate partners who will help their companies grow. Techstars operates four divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs, Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships, and the Techstars Venture Capital Fund. Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Program supercharges success and Techstars Startup Programs inspire, educate and connect entrepreneurs. Techstars Venture Capital Fund invests in the most innovative and disruptive Techstars companies to fuel their success. Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships helps brands create world-changing products and services. Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,900 companies with an estimated market cap of over $25 Billion.
About Our Partner Grinnell College
Founded in 1846, Grinnell College is a private, coed, residential liberal arts and sciences college located in Grinnell, Iowa. The community embraces intellectual journeys of all kinds, and provides the individualized guidance to dive deeper, define new directions, and follow their passions across the world. The college provides individually advised learning for the intellectually motivated and is a place where freedom and academic rigor coexist and complement each other. The curriculum has only one class that is required for all students - the rest is up to the individual. Degrees are offered in 27 major fields with 16 concentrations and 40% of students complete a Mentored Advanced Project (MAP). There is a 9:1 student-faculty ratio with most classes having fewer than 20 students.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.