VP of Engineering$120k – $150k • 1.0% – 5.0%
Who We Are: the story behind Swaypay
Swaypay is a well funded venture-backed fintech startup. We are currently in beta, gearing up for a Fall 2020 launch. We are a small team of 5 who like to surround ourselves with people who are warm and creative, enjoy building things, and can reason and debate without animosity. We are looking for a highly skilled Head of Engineering (at market rate comp structure) to build out and lead our engineering team. If this sounds like it could be you, keep reading!
Swaypay's mission is to re-route the billions of ad dollars back into shoppers' pockets as savings by building a new kind of product that repatriates the value social media users are creating for brands.
Swaypay lets anyone shop at their favorite stores and pay with social media posts directly at the point of sale.
Our vision is to turn social influence into a globally accepted currency.
We believe that the ubiquity of social media has given everyone a new form of capital, or "sway", that brands are becoming increasingly eager to tap into. Swaypay exists to facilitate this value exchange by:
- delivering a frictionless experience for merchants and shoppers
- quantifying each shopper's social influence to keep the system cost-effective and scalable
🙌 What you'll do
You will dive in and own the architecture and technical execution of our product. You will be responsible for hiring and growing our engineering talent. And you will bridge the gap between the engineering side and the rest of the business, communicating with employees, customers, and investors. We expect you to have strong business acumen to help drive the direction of the product as the market responds.
Previous experience at a high growth B2B Seed - Series A startup is a must. Experience with eCommerce platforms (ie: Shopify, Big Commerce) and/or payment platforms (ie: Afterpay, Klarna) is a big plus.
- Own the architecture of our product
- Lead the strategy, design, implementation, and improvement of our product
- Manage and grow the engineering team. Own project priorities, processes, and deliverables
- Communicate current state of engineering and overall direction with leadership team and external stakeholders (investors)
- Embody a culture of innovation, transparency, and radical candor
- Experience at a fast growing startup.
- Experience owning product end-to-end.
- Strong empathy for the customer and experience working directly with our customer support team and our customers.
- Strong organizational leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills, especially with non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong documentation and workflow creation flows.
- Experience recruiting engineers and delegating work.
- Experience working with and growing remote teams.
💻 Technologies you need to know
Need To Have:
- Mastery of MERN stack
- Competency in modern JS UI frameworks like React with bells and whistles like Redux, CSS preprocessors, Web Pack etc.
- Familiarity with database technology such as MongoDB (preferred), MySQL, Oracle or , CouchDB.
- Excellent with backend API development frameworks – NodeJS (required)
- Experience with Shopify's templating language, Liquid, or strong confidence that you can quickly pick it up.
Nice To Have:
- Experience with production deployment and monitoring tools like ECS/Kubernetes / Docker Swarm, Grafana.
- Good understanding of REST and GraphQL API design.
⚽ You will be a great fit if you
- Get excited about prioritizing exceeding customers' expectations over everything else.
- Are proactive about anticipating needs and solving for them before they become a problem.
- Enjoy being part of a highly collaborative environment.
- Have the ability to be self-directed and be effective working independently, yet feel equally comfortable contributing in a team environment.
- Work well with technical and non-technical people to deliver high-value results.
- Value quality.
- Significant sway ;-) over the company's direction
- Competitive pay and equity
- Time and expenses for enrichment opportunities like representing Swaypay by giving technical talks, sitting on panels, doing press, etc.
- International company retreats after COVID-19 restrictions lift (ie: we went to London this year)
- Beautiful office in central Chicago (near Millennium Park) with lots of quality coffee
- Generous work from home policy
- Generous sick days and holidays