StyleSeat is the go-to marketplace to discover and book beauty services
Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Backend Engineer
100% Remote (U.S. based only)
At StyleSeat, our mission is to help people look and feel their best. We are on the path to achieving this mission by being the go-to portal for consumers to discover, book, and pay for beauty and grooming services (hair stylists, colorists, nail artists, estheticians, barbers, etc). We are also the premier solution for all independent professionals in the industry to run and grow their business. We have powered over 120 million appointments booked and $10B in revenue for small businesses and are on the path to much more.
Our leaders are just as involved in the code as they are with mentoring their team to make StyleSeat the very best place to work. We have a strong value-based culture that serves our community, gives every individual ownership and is diverse. Being an engineer means: daily releases, clear ownership, constant learning, data driven decision-making, great partnership with product, serving millions of customers everyday. Every single engineer makes a huge impact on our customers and the company’s growth.
About the Role:
The Senior Backend Engineer at StyleSeat is responsible for providing technical leadership to the engineering team and steering key decisions. You will engage in system design, technology evaluation, prototyping, implementation of key components, DevOps, and training of team members as we move to more modular, microservice-based architecture. You’ll be self-directed, a critical thinker and an excellent communicator. While not necessarily a frontend specialist, you should be comfortable with how the frontend systems work and able to dive in to remove roadblocks, if necessary.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and build core parts of the platform to deliver robust backend services
- Lead and assist efforts to migrate to a modular, microservices future
- Design and implement interfaces and infrastructure for large-volume services and APIs
- Conduct code reviews and audits
- Ensure the shipment of quality products
- Help establish our technical philosophy and engineering culture
What You Can Bring to the Table:
You love to learn so you don't need to know everything day one, but some relevant background will help you get going quickly:
- 7+ years of experience in a production environment
- Strong server-side Python coding experience
- Experience researching and suggesting optimal backend operations and solutions
- Experience creating serverless tasks with AWS Lambda Functions and automated testing with PyTest
- Experience with RabbitMQ, and Celery
- Experience with Pub/Sub messaging to enable event-driven architecture and to decouple applications to increase performance, reliability, and scalability
- Experience with query optimization and SQL administration for large MySQL datasets
- Formal computer science background such as a BSCS, or equivalent experience
Large company medical benefits
○ Medical (Anthem PPO 250, Anthem PPO 500, Anthem HSA 2700, Anthem HMO 15) ○ Dental (Guardian Dental Premier Plan, Guardian Dental Standard Plan) ○ Vision (VSP Vision Standard)
Equity and 401(k)
Paid paternity & maternity leave
1-day every other week on the 2nd week of Sprint.
Unlimited vacation policy
Breakfast & lunch provided daily
We currently provide a buffet lunch for employees each work day. Our catering company crafts lunch choices based on our preferences and dietary necessities. We also have a fully stocked kitchen with breakfast, snacks, and drinks.
Lunch provided daily for SF office
We offer all full-time employees a monthly reimbursement of up to $50 for gym-type memberships and employees are reimbursed through Expensify.
You can expense up to $75 each quarter to be reimbursed when using the StyleSeat app. We want you to personally connect with our community on a regular basis, use our product and enjoy a haircut, facial, massage and so much more!
Music streaming account
StyleSeat will reimburse the employee for a music streaming account (Spotify, Pandora, or other) up to $9.99 each month.
Parking, and Transit through Navia Benefits - Receive up to $270 per month pre-tax for use toward commuting costs.
Regular company happy hours - guests invited!
StyleSeat at a glance
StyleSeat focuses on SaaS, Marketplaces, Online Reservations, Beauty, and Health and Wellness. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, StyleSeat has raised $39.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2015.